DMB's Busted Stuff

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by DinoSco, Jul 16, 2002.

1. DinoSco

Mar 8, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    New DMB album is out, and we can finally hear some of the bass up front. The bass player, Stefan Lessard, is pretty talented but has always been buried in the mix in most albums... but the band has a new producer for this one and Stefan has been "promoted". His lines are more up-front and add more flavor to the songs.

Overall, his playing is tight and tasteful. He is rarely flashy but almost always interesting. His work on Grey Street is great, and the new version of Captain bounces around quite a bit. In fact, my only quibble is with his harmonics at the very end of Bartender -- normally he's very tasteful with harmonics, but those are too out-front and, dare I say, somewhat ugly. Otherwise, it's a good album and it's great to hear Stefan get his due. DMB fans and other interested parties should check it out.

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    The new Dave Matthews is almost the same album as the unreleased Steve Lilywhite album from a few years back.......I always like that one better than the one Glenn Ballard overproduced:D
  3. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Who's the new producer for Busted Stuff? :confused: I haven't heard any of the Lillywhite Sessions songs from the new release. Were they re-mixed or something?

I loved the Lillywhite Sessions. I thought it was the best thing DMB had released from the studio. I hope they kept Bartender at 10+ minutes. That song's great.
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yeah - i've had the lillywhite sessions burned to CD for a year and change now, and it was weird hearing busted stuff followed by gray street on a new CD. lots of the lyrics are different, which i guess just shows that the music is more important in that band.

serge - no they totally rerecorded the songs from lillywhite sessions. (with the exception of a few stinkers like monkey man, thank god)

stefan is one of my favorite bass players, and i'm glad to hear him up front more. unfortunately, i still like his warwick tone better :rolleyes:

here's a question tho - has anyone been able to get this CD to work in their computers CD player? i'd be sad if this was one of those copywritten joints - i don't want to take a marker to it just to have it play on my computer.
  5. I'm listening to it on my computer right now.
  6. DinoSco

Mar 8, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Produced by Steve Harris, their long-time engineer. Bartender is still awesome but it's been re-tooled a little bit... closing jam is not as long (song is about 8:30 total) and ends in a pennywhistle outro by Leroi. Not quite as powerful as the original Lillywhite recording, but definitely a bit tighter. Most of the songs have improved from the Lillywhites, IMO, but a couple are actually not as good. You could say Bartender is maybe one of those.
  7. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist

I really wish they'd kept "JTR" and "Sweet Up and Down." I really miss those songs from the new CD, but I certainly am glad to have them on the Lillywhite Sessions disc. Even though the material is a lot darker than anything prior, I feel like these songs were a logical extension of what they previously did on Before These Crowded Streets, which I still feel is the best DMB disc to date. "Everyday" just seems like a weird blip on their musical radar.

As an aside, I second the notion that Stefan's Warwicks sounded much better than the Modulus basses he uses now. Never have been much for Modulus, but that's a story for another thread. :)
  8. DinoSco

Mar 8, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Now that they're a year+ removed from Everyday, and all the marketing hype and BS they had to endure is long past, their true feelings about that album are shining through -- at least Carter's. In the upcoming Rolling Stone, he says basically that the recording process of Everyday was "smothering" and that the album "was not [the DMB] -- it was two guys (Dave and producer Glen Ballard)". Obviously he's not at all happy with the way it was made.

I wouldn't expect a repeat of that album to happen to the DMB anytime soon, if ever.
  9. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    in stephans bass player interview he talks on how glen and dave showed up with the songs done and glen had "written their parts in their style"! i'd be one pissed of monkey if that were me. but then again i like glen's work on alanis's albums.
  10. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

absolutely. that's one of my top 5 CD's ever, if not the best. (only other thing i'd put as #1 is Jamiroquai's Return of the Space Cowboy)

i wouldn't release an album i wasn't happy with. i don't see why they would - unless it was record label pressure?