1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DMS (Duke Miller Sanborn) concert review

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by lsabina, Jun 2, 2011.

1. lsabina

lsabina

Sep 3, 2008
    WNY
    Just got back from seeing the DMS concert in Buffalo NY. It was their 3rd gig of an approximately 25 concert tour through the US. Their previous date (in Atlanta) was apparently cancelled, so they had about a 3 day lay-off before this gig. Beside George Duke, Marcus Miller, and Dave Sanborn, the band included drummer Louis Cato and another keyboardist whose name I didn't catch. The crowd was decent size, nearly filling the main floor and 3 balconies of Kleinhans Music Hall, home of the Buffalo Philharmonic Symphony (this is certainly one of the larger venues of the tour).
    Overall, the concert was average/good, but certainly not outstanding. As mentioned, it was early in the tour, so maybe they were still getting their footings. Tunes consisted of mainly Miller/Sanborn fare (Run For Cover, Lisa, Straight To The Heart, etc.), a couple of tunes from Miles' Tutu, and about three George Duke tunes, Brazilian Love Affair, and two pop/vocal "hits" from the early '80s.
    Beside the repertoire, what made the concert average was the fact that there really wasn't any stretching out on solos--tunes where pretty much played by the book. I was expecting some extended featuring of all three stars for at least once during the concert, but it didn't happen. Only Marcus had a bit of a "feature" on one of his own tunes. His brief solos were typical--slapping and rhythmic. He also played some bass clarinet on Backyard Ritual.
    Lastly, there was plenty of casual banter among the three and "humor" provided by George Duke's antics (it seemed as if he really didn't seem to know where to fit in, besides his solo space, during the Miller/Sanborn material).
    The rest of the dates can be found at: www.dmstour.com

2. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Im going down to the Capital Jazz Fest in Maryland this weekend. DMS is opening Friday night. I can't wait to see this show! Im not looking to see Miller solo every five minutes but rather to see a really good rhythm section at work. I can't imagine these guys giving anything less than a great performance. I'll let you all know next week.

3. lsabina

lsabina

Sep 3, 2008
    WNY
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I see this show is coming to the Lou on 8/7/11! This might be a treat for me!:D

5. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Ok I saw DMS last Friday in Columbia Md. I totally loved it. George, Dave and Marcus were all in top form as expected. They all took great solos and were able to lock for some killer grooves. In addition these guys are funny as hell. But here is my thing, I'm a fan of music. I'm not a music critic nor do i want to be. When I hear music I dont want to pick it apart and put it under a microscope. I simply want to enjoy it . So for me my evaluation is quite simple... Did the artist do a very good job playing things I wanted to hear? In this case the answer was a big yes! I was thoroughly impressed with this DMS performance. If you can get to this show in a few hours I highly encourage you to take the drive to see it.

BTW I got to meet Marcus and shake his hand after the show! I told him he has tought me a great deal over the years. Thats when we shook hands and he thanked me for saying so. A pretty cool moment I must say. Right after that he was wisked away in a golf cart for a very quick meet and greet. Then he was off to play for Herbie Hancock (I saw that show too).

6. xk3smith

xk3smith

Mar 6, 2009
    If that is the same Louis Cato that I know, he's an amazing bass player too!!! He was playing with a band I like called Chapter 2. I wondered what happened to him. This seems like a better gig. Too bad there are no NYC dates. I'd love to see this show.