DMX lighting controller lighting recommendations?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Engle, Oct 5, 2016.

1. My band has 2 Chauvet 4 Bar Tris and we would like to start do more with the lighting. At least more than what is available with the included footswitch.
    It will be myself or the guitarist running it.
    Any recommendations?

nixdad likes this.
  2. I have experience with the Chauvet Obey 40 and Obey 70, either would likely do what you need. The Obey 70 gives you a little bit of room to grow.

I recently upgraded to an Elation Show Designer 2, which is slightly over the top. I don't see me outgrowing it for a long time.

Elation%20SD%202_zpsa2fn1bys.gif

3. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Much of what DMX controller will work for you is how your fixtures function. Your particular fixtures work in 3 or 15 channel mode, so you'd need at least a 15 channel DMX controller that can handle 8 fixtures to the the most out of your lights.

Obey 10 is the minimum you'd want to go (can handle 8 fixtures with up to 16 channels), is easy on the wallet, easy to program and control on the fly. Obey 40 or 70 are also good choices with more control and functionality.

5. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I just dove into this pool last month. Before that, I only had a basic sense of what DMX was all about!

My requirements were: controller that gets the most out of my lights, was easy to use on stage by a musician and to not break the bank .

I was thinking foot controller as well, but realized that the Foot-C wouldn't work with my main fixtures (Chauvet Wash FX, 7 or 23 channel DMX). I run my fixtures in 7 channel mode which gives me control over RGB, strobe, fade, etc. Don't really need anything more than that. But hell, try to find a 7 channel DMX controller! I picked up an Obey 3 on spec - some stuff worked, some stuff didn't with only three channels. that was the beginning of my learning curve! Ended up going with the Obey 10 with 16 channels.

There's one really good video on Youtube that shows you how to program the Obey 10. Even I figured it out...

My band typically uses static washes and we generally need to adjust intensity or colour based on any given venue's setup. I programmed in some basic scenes at home that I flip through when setting up for a gig. Find something decent and let it be. I haven't bothered working with chases just yet. Also have a "standby" scene for in between sets - keeps the stage lit, but in a a nice mellow blue. So, a bit of setup before playing and press one button to activate the standby scene after the set ends. Too easy.

nixdad likes this.
  6. Yeah I'm trying to keep it simple. I'm the "tech" guy in the band (with all the spares and tools) so between myself and the guitarist we end up doing all the PA and lighting. I want to keep my focus on playing - what you describe makes good sense.

Our kids also have a rock band so that's probably where I'll end up doing more with the controller.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

nixdad and DirtDog like this.
  7. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Yeah, I get ya. I'm lights and sound plus bass these days. Used to be bass + lead vox + setlists + crowd engagement + sound and so on. I've managed to pass off lead vox and setlists so I'm not having any issues juggling a reduced workload these days!

nixdad likes this.
  8. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Feb 25, 2005
    Central Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
    I also manage the lights while playing, and although I have a rack multichannel DMX controller with some preset scenes that I've set up, I hardly ever use it. 99% of the time I just rely on the footswitch that came with a setup similar to the 4Bars (the cheaplights version). The signals that allow you to chain the 4Bars (with a DMX cable in and out) are DMX signals, and with most small individual fixtures I've been able to figure out dipswitch settings that work with those signals through trial and error (along with some efforts at translating the Chinese version of English in the documentation for almost any DMX light). I just leave those other fixtures permanently set up with those settings, and plug and play as needed for the venue--I've probably chained up to a dozen fixtures this way. However, be sure you have a terminator at the end of the DMX chain, or some bad lighting mojo invariably happens!

nixdad and DirtDog like this.