1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DNBD (Disappointed) Ibanaez Talman Standard 5 String

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mrcbass, Dec 12, 2018.

1. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    So disappointed. Finally took the plunge on a PJ and have been drooling for over a week for it to arrive. It actually arrived a day early so I was really excited when I got off work on Monday to pick it up from the local Fed Ex place.

This bass just really caught my eye. With the exception of the paddle headstock, it was love at first sight for me. I'm not even a pick guard guy, but liked it on this bass for some reason. And I never really notice the fret markings, but these just hit my eye as well. Sweetwater photo:

750-TMB605NT_front.

I unpacked it, did a quick inspection, did a little set up (raised the B string to make it playable, tuned it up and strapped it on - just to get a feel for it before diving in to the full set up.

First impression, was the weight - the bass is heavier than anything else I've owned and I felt it immediately. And this thing has some serious neck dive (never really experienced that before). A little sad, but let's run it through some paces to see if I can get the P sound. This isn't the best situation for comparison (nothing in my house to compare with), but I was able to kind of get that P thump out of it after a few experiments with the tone knobs (there wasn't a lick of "how does this work" material in the box - like what to expect from the tome knobs in passive mode), but I kind of figured things out. I wasn't really feeling it, but went ahead and did my full set up to give it a fair shot.

I took it off and went into my full set up mode (checking all string heights, neck and intonation). I was never able to properly intonate the B and E strings. Both saddles were as far back as they can go (removed the spring which did bought me nothing except a lost spring) and my octave is 10-20% sharp.

I plugged it back in to try to bond with it anyway and it did start to feel better, but I wasn't really hearing any difference in tone in my environment. I know this isn't the same as live, but I did a little experiment playing a track through the stereo in the room and playing each of basses with the same track while recording, just to see if I could hear the difference between the J and PJ set as close to P as I could. The tones were indistinguishable. I considered gigging it this weekend to see if the live environment would bring it out, but I really didn't want to risk scratching it up, so I boxed it back up and sending back to Sweetwater. Just not going to invest myself in a $600 instrument that won't intonate and is not easily bonding with me.

I just kind of feel like the inside of my mail order bride doesn't match the outside. My other fretted fiver is an Ibby as well (SR 505) and I love it, so doubly disappointed that her sister didn't live up to my expectations.