DNOTD Remaster

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by frito bandito, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Watt, would you answer a question for me that's been in the back of my mind for quite some time? My 1984 version of Double Nickels On The Dime CD got all scratched up an' such, so I went out and bought a new one. This new CD, copyrighted in 1989, appears to have been remastered. Some of D's solos are different (or remixed), different song numbering, some different mixes, etc... What's the scoop on this? Is it possible to get the original version anymore? Since I grew up with the original version, the version I have now just doesn't *feel* the same to me. Thanks!

Sorry I missed you on your last tour at the Cat's Craddle in NC. Keep up the good work.
  2. Hey, Frito
    I remember reading in MUSICIAN magazine some years back that Watt had remastered Double Nickels in the late 80s to the consternation of those who loved the original mix's "flat sound."
    He later recanted and apologized and restored it to its' original form. I'd bet what you have is the remastered version.
  3. I never noticed the difference in the mix on the CD. Mine's from '89 too, I always chalked up the sound quality to the CD in comparison to the record. I was always bummed that the CD version left off a couple of my favorites from the album, "Little Man With a Gun in His Hand" and "Ain't Talkin' Bout Love". Unfortunately, my vinyl is toast. I'm just curious if there's something else that the particular versions of those songs appear on. I know both songs are on other albums in various forms, but I liked the Double Nickels versions the best.