do 2X10's cabs really sound good by themselves?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by craigers2, May 29, 2002.

1. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    does anyone here just play through a 2X10 cab? i was looking at buying an SWR Goliath Jr. III or an Eden 210XLT. do these sound ok by themselves? i'm really just looking at "shrinking" my rig, but am concerned that a 2X10 cab will not have enough bottom. i'd be powering it with my hartke 3500 head.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Most have plenty of bottom but won't get as loud as bigger cabinets.

It really comes down to how loud you need to be vs. how much gear you are willing to tote.
  3. CtheOp

Oct 11, 2001
    Toronto, Canada
    I use the SWR 2x10 and it sounds great. Of course, you can only expect so much from it. If I am planying somewhere larger, then I add a single 15-inch speaker cabinet to my amp (SWR350) to get some more bottom end. But for most of the places that I play, the 2x10 works great, is light to carry, and has a great sound.

No complaints about this cabinet from me. Just don't expect the same huge sound that you will get with larger speakers. There's no free lunch.....
  4. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    that's what i was thinking of doing. i have 15" hartke cab that i will bring out for larger gigs.
  5. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    I use an EBS 2/10 cabinet and a Carvin 2/10 cabinet and they sound great. If I had a choice between the Eden and SWR 2/10 I would pick the Eden.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    My main rig uses an Aguilar 2x10" as a stand alone.
    I play mostly Jazz, Funk, and Fusion, and it's got a ton of volume. Crystal clear, with a huge low end. Not as deep as a 15", but it is punchy and "quick" sounding. I have no problem gigging with it.:)
  7. popo5cordes

May 27, 2002
    I got an EBS Gorm 350 in the 2x10 version, and it sounds very good. I didn't try Eden ...
  8. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    do you guys "prop up your cabs" when you play or put them on a stand; or can you hear them when they are sitting flat on the floor (or stage).

i like the idea of the wedge 2X10's that eden and gk make.
  9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Eden my friend.

I think they are the best speaker cab manufacturer Ive tried.

I think the music you play an dthe sound you are going for should be major factors in choosing, and you should try it out for yourself.

I have played Eden 2-10" several times, and I own a Nemesis 2-10" combo (lower branch of Eden). It sounds great, and its fairly inexpensive, not that you cant find Eden cabs on Ebay for cheap.

I think I read that Nemesis also uses the same speakers as Eden. They are also tuned similarly, I believe the only difference is that Eden uses plywood while Nemesis uses composite materials.

I would give both a try if I were you. If 10's arent enough, try 2-12's

10. Well, I use sometimes my Ampeg 2 x 10 without my Ampeg 1 x 15. IMO it sounds good, I just need to cranck the bass- and lo-mid knobs of my V4b a bit more...
    The 2 x 10 is more focussed on hi-mid, so it sounds tighter than the 1 x 15 and has more attack (hi-mids...). The 1 x 15 sounds warmer and is more focussed on punchsounds (low-mid...).
    I'm looking for a good ss or hybrid basshead now to use with my 2 x 10 for even more tighter sounds, e.g. slapsounds. (Tube amps tend to 'spread' the sound...)
    Haven't decided though which amp it will be.

I think a good 2 x 10 like the Ampeg is a great cab for rehearsals and clubgigs... easy transportable.

I once tried the SWR Goliath III with an SWR Bass 350 amp and it sounded awesome! I reckon the Eden cab sounds great too.
    Also a good 2 x 10 cab is the Hartke 2.5 XL.

Try a few 2 x 10 cabs and see if you like them... but don't expect groundshaking lows like you'd expect from a 2 x 15 or 8 x 10 or something like that (It's physically impossible!).

By the way, the total amount of speakersurface of a 2 x 10 is almost the same as of a 1 x 15, so it moves practically the same amount of air... which is what you need for bass.

It's all a matter of taste too, I guess...
  11. I don't really mind my stand-alone 210 but my drummer much prefers my single 15 on stage. He claims he can hear and feel my notes better.
  12. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Why not get a second 2x10 and drop the ohms on your amp? It'd be 4x10 w/ 2 horns and an amp running full throttle. Just asking.
  13. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Im sorry, if one 2x10 isnt enough, see above.
  14. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    every non-phatphunktion gig i play is with my rack thru my goliath jr. (4ohm)

it's very rarely not loud enough. has decent bottom - the B string is a little lacking but it's a 2x10, that's expected.

if i could only have one speaker and it had to be a 2x10, i don't know if i'd use an SWR - it sounds incredible with a 15 paired up with it but if it were the only one i'd have to have something with a little more bottom.
  15. I use Eden 210XLTs and rarely have to use both.Only outdoors or in a really large room do I bring both.They have great bottom end and really project well.Like the other guys say its not a 410 but these things are loud!
  16. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    i really think i'd like to pick up an eden 210XLT. even in larger gigs, my bands "stage volume" is not too loud - we let the PA do most of the work. i really just want a great sounding cab. that is easier to carry around.

thanks for all the help.
  17. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    2x10s can be plenty. I know a lot of guys that gig with them with good results. Course, the 2x10+1x15 combo is a classic as well. Though if I were to pick one 2x10, it's be the Epifani 2x10. Those things are killer pieces of work, no doubt.
  18. I own a D210XLT with (recently) re-coned speakers and X-over. I bought the cab after the last owner had this work done. I know how popular these things are but the low mid bump on it is so massive that it just sounds like mud to me (thick is how some like to describe it.) I want to trade this for something a little more even with more of an extended bottom (Acme?) I play allot of dub these days but need a fullrange, single cab to cover all the bases for my smaller gigs. Any small cabs folks would suggest...EA,etc.?
  19. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I actually prefer the sound of the Eden D210XLT to the D410XLT. I recently sold a 410 because for small clubs, the 210 is perfect. When I'm running an Eden WT400 with the D210XLT, I get a great sound that doesn't hurt my back to load in/out. You can get a wide range of tone, too, from vintage to modern.
  20. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    the eden 210 is awsome!
    it had more low end than my 15 cab!
    it had high and lows!
    the 210 goes lower than a 15.
    i would check out avatat
    i think i read that they are backorder right now
    for the 8 ohms tho