1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do 30" Fender Bass necks bolt onto guitar bodies?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by myke.nytemare, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Just saw a cool Frankenbass (listed as custom bass, not fender) on the bay that uses a Jazzmaster body with a musicmaster neck!!!

Is this something that can be done without a lot of routing, or was that a completely custom job?

I guess it would be great if someone had the neck specs/measurements for basses like the Bronco/Mustang/Musicmaster. Having the ability to use guitar bodies would greatly add to the options for my custom short scale.

2. If not, it will only take an hour of measuring and sanding to get it to fit!

3. HenfieldJ

HenfieldJ

Feb 10, 2007
    Detroit
    If I remember right, I tried the same thing in the past, and I found that a Fender Musicmaster Bass Neck would fit onto a Fender Telecaster Body, but the holes did not all line up, as the neck pocket of the basses is longer than on the guitars. Due to other reasons, I never pursued this idea, but I have always wanted a short scale 4 or 6 string bass with a telecaster body and electronics! I think that this works with a telecaster body, as the neck pocket is squared off. I believe that the neck pocket on a strat is rounded at the bottom, so the squared off Musicmaster Bass neck does not fit in that neck pocket as well. I do not know about other Fender guitar models.

I hope that this helps,

Henfield.............................

4. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    NO.
    A Fender strat/tele ... is a 25.5 in scale length.
    So once you got the neck in, you'd have to move the bridge back 4.5 inches.

5. So new bridge position, maybe some sanding and you'd have an awesome custom shortie...
    Not that hard!
    Peace
    :bassist:

6. Telecaster neck @ last fret: Slightly less than 2-3/16"
    Bronco neck @ last fret: Slightly more than 2-1/4"
    In the photo below note the bridge position and location of the neck heel and compare to a Tele. I traced a Tele to make the routing template for this body.
    tele_bass_02.

7. Yeah, but lets not deny that a bass on a tele body would be sweet. I prefer longer scales though, so I'd try to fit a 34" neck on it. And I'd only really need 1 pickup. How would I go about making a bass to those specs with a tele body?
    :) :) :)

8. I'd do it like this. In fact, I think I did :) Three pickups, I know. But I think this is the neck/body combination that you are talking about.
    IMG_0520.
    IMG_0522.

9. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    wow that bass is a beauty wonder how its sound is

10. Sounds really good! Big bottom end.