1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do ALL '66 Fender Jazz Basses sound like THIS?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by madjazzbass, Apr 21, 2017.

1. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    This 1966 Fender Jazz Bass sounds absolutely incredible, I'm wondering if all 66 Jazz Basses sound like this? The experts say ...:D ... or is it that Hywatt amp that is using?:unsure:

2. No 2 pieces of wood are alike, so: no. Not all '66 J-basses sound like that.

Bob_Ross, Midak, madjazzbass and 3 others like this.
  3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I don't know if it's sound is exclusive to it's year of manufacture, but I agree, it's sound is unbelievable!

I also dig the DR201 and Hiwatt 4-10" setup!

madjazzbass and Aqualung60 like this.
  4. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    Everyone knows that tone is in the hair. Look at those glorious, shiny locks; of course the tone will be smooth and supple.

Mvilmany, JIO, Coolhandjjl and 23 others like this.
  5. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Nah...it's "The Beard To Be Feared". That's the source of his power. :thumbsup:

6. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    Dude, believe me, if beard gave you bass playing powers I would know it. The magic HAS to be in his 'do. Outside chance it's in a tasteful reveal of chest hair.

7. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Seattle
    My '66 didn't sound like that. Mine was way warmer and deeper. I miss that bass.

8. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    The back pickup was changed to a Fralin. That may explain that extra snappy high end in the tone.

HolmeBass and BrentSimons like this.
  9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    You hand that dude a 2017 Jazz bass with the same strings through the same amp and (I would argue) it will sound exactly like that.

joebar, DD Gunz, jallenbass and 30 others like this.
  10. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    IMHO (which means nothing) the full spectrum of jazz bass sounds are a result of the right amp and the right strings. I think these two variables are the most important regarding the video. My MIK Squier Jazz,with MEC active pups running through a Roland XL120, can get very close when using light gauge Pro steels.

Stefan Verbeeck and IGotGas like this.
  11. CapnSev

CapnSev Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I would definitely agree that you could get REALLY close to the same sound, especially with the same player on the same type of bass.

Personally, I think where you find the most discrepancy between new and vintage basses is in the feel.

Templar, devnulljp and J-Bassomatic like this.
  12. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Sounds great. I think a lot of bass demo videos sound like garbage.

13. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Sounds like typically jazz bass with round wounds to me. Nothing special. Remember that you're hearing everything else in the signal chain too. You're not going to get that sounds without a little eq and possibly compression.

markmck79 and Dan Waineo like this.
  14. I'm going to get that put on a t-shirt, it'll be put in rotation with my "Lee Sklar stunt double" shirt, lol.

15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Can't argue that.

16. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Sounds like a stock jazz bass with low action to me. The MIJ model I just got sounds like that, minus the fretbuzz 'cause it's fretless :)

17. rmars

rmars Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2004
    Bettendorf, Ia
    Sounds like a good, maybe better than average J Bass to me. And before anyone gets mad, that's all you really need. Everything else is the player. Mark is a nice guy and great player. He absolutely has the ability in his hands to make anything he touches sound the best it can.

JJR58 and TrustRod like this.
  18. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Ash/maple will sound very different. That alder/rosewood is warm and buttery. I played a 63 and 65 that sounded pretty much like that. The new Elite series is going to have a more modern high end in active mode. The new Elites just stomp.

19. Joe Ty

Joe Ty Supporting Member

What he said. In the order of importance in getting that sound, the bass would be last, assuming it's a Fender Jazz with same strings.

He's a great player and has a great setup.

20. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

That sounds awesome! :woot:

Sadly, I can't take credit for that turn of phrase. It came from people far, far more creative than myself. :thumbsup:

Beard to be Feared

[​IMG]