1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do all amps from the same brand differ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ndrly, Jun 25, 2007.

1. For some reason, when it comes to amplification (and to a lesser extent, drums), I feel that it doesn't matter what I buy from that brand, as long as I can afford it.

For example, would a Gallien-Krueger 2001RB sound similar to a Gallien-Krueger Backline 600, right? The main difference is price, right?

Also, I'm under the impression that the only difference in tone between, say, a 1x12 cabinet and a 6x10 cabinet is volume. Would I be correct?

2. a 10" cone has a more trebly tone and a 12" has a few more mids and lows.

but these differences are quite subtle, 10" cones still have plenty of bass.

I'm not an authority on GK amps, but if they both have exactly the same controls on the front, then the signal outptted would be practically identical.

3. This doesn't have to apply just to GK. Any amplification brand will do, Ampeg, Aguilar, Ashdown, Eden...just about any bass amp brand you can think of.

I just chose GK as an example because I'd love to use those amplifiers after finding out one of my favourite bassists uses them...

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021