Do all rack tuners jump a lot?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by reel big bassist, Jul 14, 2002.

1. reel big bassist

reel big bassist

Mar 27, 2000
    Hello Everyone,
    I recently bought a used Korg DT-1 Pro Rack Tuner. It has four different modes on it: calibitrate, slow, fast, sound, and mute. I've put it on slow and fast mode and I still encounter the same problem. The light jumps around a lot! I can't get it to stay on pitch. Even when it goes in the center it doesn't stay there for more than a few seconds. Is it my tuner or do all rack tuners do this? I should note that when the tuner goes in the green it makes a constant clicking sound. So I know there is one thing wrong with it.

I am considering buying the Sabine RT-7000. I had a Sabine Hand Tuner, and I absolutly loved it.
    Before I buy the Sabine Rack tuner i'd like to know if all rack tuners jump as much as my Korg DT-1 Pro.

Greg P
    P.S. Both Rack Tuners and Hand tuners say they are accurate up to +/- 1 cent. Does that mean that hand tuners are just as accurate as rack tuners?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hmm, maybe the input signal for the Korg is too low? Just guessing.

A friend of mine has an old Korg rack tuner and it works fine.

Rack tuners are not necessarily more precise than hand tuners. Probably the same chips in both.

[EDIT] JMX is a satisfied owner of a Korg AT-2 for almost 10 years.
  3. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I have an old Sabine RT-1601 that is rock steady. They pop up on ebay pretty often for $75-100.
  4. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Buy a Boss TU-6 or TU-12 and be done with it!
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Don't confuse sensitivity with stability. The DTR-1 and DRT-2 have more meter segments than most tuners, so are more exact in what they'll show as in tune.

(A happy DTR-2 owner...)