Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do all your basses sound good through your Rig??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bobbo 77', Feb 17, 2006.

1. Hola,
    Brought this question up on another post. Do all of your basses sound good through your Bass amps? My 77' Stingray and Sr5 sound fantastic through my Eden Metro, amp set flat, but I really have to e.q. my amp to get a decent tone using my Fender Marcus 4 string, run active. Just curious to see if some basses are better matched with certain amps,

Bobbo 77'

2. Through my Eden CXC-110+CX-110 my Stambaughs(fretless 4 & 7, & fretted 6)sound SOOOO sweet. My 3/4 DB also sounds great through this rig, but my passive MIA Fender J-5 sounded a bit better to me through an SVT-3pro/Pro-410hlf. I do think some rigs are going to complement a particular bass better than others, & opinions will be all over the map as to what 'sounds better'.

3. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    At this time all of my basses sound most excellent thru my EDen Navigator. However, that was not always the case. I can remember my Stingray sounding like crap through my Ampeg amps and cabs. It used to sound great through my goliath 6x10 and Sm-500; it was the best sound I have ever had. Some insruments just dont jive well with some head and cab combinations. Thats why I make it a point to take my basses to the bass shop when trying out gear.

4. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Yes, I pretty much sound like me, no matter which bass I choose. My rig is probably the more important piece in achieving my desired tone.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    GK 1001RB, and a hartke 410, or ampeg 4x8 and all my basses sound good. I eq a bit differently for each, but none of them are far off from flat.

6. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    The only problem I have is with my Warwick Thumb bass which sounds excellent through my Eden's (WT400+ and WT800) but sounds a little hard through my Thunderfunk. All my other basses seem to like both the Thunderfunk and Eden's.

I do tend to run all my amps pretty much flat and I guess if I tweaked the eq the Warwick/Thunderfunk combination would be fine. Maybe some pointers from the forum on suitable settings for this combination.

7. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    YEP! But allof mine are Sadowsky's at the moment so... :bag:

8. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Back when I was in college a classmate of mine had a bass rig that sounded great no matter whose bass was plugged into it. Her rack consisted of a Hartke amp, ADA MB-1, and BBE Sonic Maximizer and it ran into a Hartke Transporter 4x10 (with the aluminum cones).

9. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    I have a Spector Euro that sounds incredible through my Boogie 400+/Ampeg 410 setup but sounds kind of brittle through the recently acquired '65 Bassman/212 cab. My MIA Fender Jazz sounds great through everything. :D

10. JazzBassMayn

JazzBassMayn

Dec 10, 2005
    Oregon, OH
    My rig is great. Kustom GrooveBass 1200 and Avatar 212 Delta. Budget setup, but amazing sound. My basses sound great through my rig, it has an active and passive switch so it fits whatever kind of bass you're playing.

11. Redface SWR Bass 350 into a Hartke 410XL and an SWR Big Ben 18". My MM SR5, my Zon Sonus 4 and my Tobias Growler Fretless 4 all sound great straight in. My Hamer Chapparal 8 also sounds great but has the added benefit of it's own distortion / preamps (a Mesa V-Twin rack & a Chandler Tube Driver). My Ibanez 504 Mahoganny 4 sounds OK, but not great. The bass is a little 'pongy' for my tastes but I don't re-eq when using it so I live with it. I use the bass mostly for lessons (it's light as a feather) so it's not a critical application. I'm sure if i re-equalized it'd sound better but it doesn't matter too much.

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hells yea!

i paid enough for all my crap, it better!

but seriously, my sadowsky's like the eden and epifani stuff. my MTD has been seen philandering w/ my Thunderfunk. go figure.

13. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Exactly. I have to tellya that there is something about a Sadowsky bass through and killer Eden rig.

I am currently running my PJ5's throught he new Eden 1205 and into two D410XLT's. Absolutely unreal. I am really looking forward to the new Eden Neo cabs so I can reduce my rig size. OR, I will get a Schroeder. That is definitely and ooption.

14. 'cept the one that's junk.

15. any bass sounds good through a peavey rig:D

but honestly, both my ksd and ibanez tr300 sound great through my mk3 and 410tx

16. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Yes. The BDDI/Focus/Bergie makes anything sound great.

17. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    No.

All my basses sound AWESOME through ANY of my rigs, or I wouldn't have kept them. Or the rigs.

18. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Nope, just my basses sound good through them :p

19. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Of course they do because I have a great eye for my basses. I have a Fender Aerodyne with Rotosound flats which sounds great for that classic fender p/j setup and a Rickenbacker 4003 which sounds like well a 4003 :)

20. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    All my basses sound great through my GK, however, I do prefer my fretless through my Peavey rig because of the chorus and the fact that it's a pair of EVM-15B's. Great vintagey, swirly sound that my GK doesn't do.