Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do all Zons have the same neck relief?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pickles, Jun 21, 2005.

1. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'm just curious if all trussrod-free Zons have the same relief or if the different models are tuned differently. I just got blackbird's 5/2 and its got more relief than I'd typlically use on anything other that a P bass, and given that this bass has a duncan split coil pickup in the "P" position, it seems like that might be intentional. Sure enough its got a whole lot of P bass vibe, and 5 good sounding strings ... I'm pretty excited.

Its a really cool bass, I'll get it to a rehersal this week and give a review :D

2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I'm guessing that all of the Zon necks would have the same set relief, but it might very from model to model. I talked to Joe a while back and he mentioned that his basses have almost zero relief, and actually have about 1/64 of relief. I would say that sounds about accurate from comparing all the Zons that I've owned.

3. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Thats what I remember from all the times I've checked out regular Sonus and Legacys. I think the 5/2 may have been specially bred to "Rawk". It has significant relief, much more than my Q5, and much more than I use on my Metro.

4. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    So far no response to the email I sent them :(

5. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Can some of you fretted zon owners measure your relief at the 12th fret for me (press the string down at the 1st and last frets, then measure the gap at the 12th fret). Be sure to mention model and year. Mine is about 1/32", where I'd tyically use more like 1/64". I found a thread where people talk about the fingerboards shifting ... but I sort of doubt thats the case here since the relief is very even, and is the same on both the bass and treble sides of the neck.

6. ShantiCat

ShantiCat Supporting Member

I measured my Sonus at the 12 fret and it was 0.008" so that is closer to 1/128. As for the age, I recently purchased it here from Poman and based on it's condition, I would say less than two years old (but really looks brand new).

Tim

7. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Actually, that bass is a 98 model.

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I have a '94 Legacy Elite 6 and it has relief exactly like you're describing. I doubt yours was done special to approximate a P bass (or something). The older Zon's seem to have a fair amount of relief, IME.

9. I just measured the relief on my '97 Sonus Special 5. There is some relief but the smallest gauge I have - .004" - is too large.

10. ShantiCat

ShantiCat Supporting Member

Wow, I am surprised. The bass looks like it never was played much and the previous owner(s) took pristine care of it.