1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do Animas eat your fingerboard?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Aarongermain, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Aarongermain

Aarongermain

Apr 27, 2005
    I've been playing with animas for a little while now and I've notices marks in my fingerboard. I don't know if it's wearing it away or not. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, do other wound stings like the olives do the same thing?

2. At first glance, I thought this was asking about whether ANIMALS ate your fingerboard. But that's a very different, much creepier problem.

3. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    "the monster just ate japan"
    (Frank Zappa, Cheepnis, from Roxy & Elswhere)

4. joel kelsey

joel kelsey

Aug 1, 2006
    Chicago, IL

I had animas on my bass and they definitely DID mark up my fingerboard. Don't know what to make of it though.

5. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    Do you still have tha package of the strings with the serial number on? It would be very interesting to see when they were made, Animas and Garbos used to be way more rougher,lately the windings are much smoother even if not completely flat wound, but i consider them smooth, on the basses that we have here at Velvet that have Animas , theres no marks on the fingerboard, and when im testing the strings, i even slap them very hard.... if you find the serial number, please tell me, thanks in advance.

Nuno

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I had 'em on my bass for a coupla years; no marks in my case.

7. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Had mine on 6 months or so. Marked up the board quite a bit.

8. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    No marks here as I just cleaned my FB last night (I'm bad at cleaning my strings) and didn't notice anything at all. I had Animas on for about 6 months too. Maybe all the scratches are filled with grime? :eyebrow:

Naaaaah. :smug:

9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    That's kinda weird, eh Phil? Since we both play New Standards... yeah, I know that no two pieces of ebony are the same.
    Anyway, I'm really digging being back to Spiros at the moment.

10. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Prolly not a wood thing. It's a brutality thing. I killed those wires in 6 months. They were on somebody elses bass for a bit but most of those miles are mine. I'm hard on stuff. No surprise to me that I'm tearing up the board. The Animals were just helping it along.

11. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Marcus and Phil - Are you a "put the string through the fingerboard" or a "push it down until it makes contact" kind of player?

12. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    I'm pretty heavy handed. I try to be light and efficient. Sometimes I start out that way but usually I end up pushing down to China by the time the gigs up.

Most of my gigs find me living in the Money zone too so the wear is concentrated there.

13. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Probably the latter. I reserve most of the violence for my right hand.

14. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    There are marks on my fingerboard from about 9 months of animas, but no apparent wear

I like the animas a lot--currently back to spiros, but thinking about switching back

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2021