Do any artists use signature models of other artists?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by christopantz, Dec 7, 2015.

Tags:
  1. christopantz

christopantz

Sep 16, 2015
    For example, if flea used a geddy lee signature jazz bass (i know he doesnt, just giving an example). are there any artists that do this?

2. dabaumtravis

dabaumtravis

Jun 24, 2013
    IIRC Mark Whatshisface from the Killers uses a GL Jazz, and Martin Mendez of Opeth uses a Marcus Miller Jazz.

LamarKafka, Gluvhand, TJH3113 and 2 others like this.
  3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    I have seen this on occasion, but it is late and I can't recall who, at the moment.

One that just came to mind is Matt Malley with a 4001CS.

4. dabaumtravis

dabaumtravis

Jun 24, 2013
    Paul D'amour played a 4001CS on Tool's first album.

stigbeve, PortlandBass77 and Snowglo like this.
  5. anavar

anavar

Oct 10, 2013
    Australia
    my bass tone can beat up your dad's bass tone.
    Mike from devildriver use to play the ESP Dv8r which is Dave Mustaine's signature. its not a bass but its something i guess

6. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    california
    I don't think you can do that, it's like cutting off the end of an electrical cord and touching the wires together:woot: Jim

staurosjohn and jaysbass2002 like this.
  7. dinodino

dinodino

Mar 9, 2008
    Pino uses a Larry Graham Moon j bass sometimes iirc

lowdownthump likes this.
  8. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Teymur Phell uses a Yamaha TRB6JPII.

Rich Emme likes this.
  9. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    Yes

Geezer Butler has been playing a Bob Glaub and Joe Osborn for years before Lakland gave him his own signature bass, which is in fact just a re-worked Glaub or as they call it now a 44-64 with his own EMG pick-ups

geezer_butler.jpg

black-sabbath-geezer-butler-arrested-fight-mem-1-700x410.jpg

Geezer-BassP.jpg

10. iamjustin

iamjustin

May 9, 2010
    Rhode Island
    I know a lot of touring bass players that use a Geddy Lee bass. I feel like as long as the bass isn't overly customized it isn't weird at all

packhowitzer and Herrick like this.
  11. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Infact Testament's Greg Christian often plays a Fender Geddy Lee; back to when he joined Whitesnake (suggested by former Marco Mendoza) Uriah Duffy often played a Fender Reggie Hamilton; when he was in Megadeth, James LoMenzo often played, lettin' his signature Yamaha BB alone, Billy Sheehan's Yamaha Attitude and Fender Marcus Miller Jazz bass

Cheers,
    Wallace

12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

The guy from Opeth often uses a Fender M².
    There are a few million guitar players who use a Les Paul signature guitar.

13. Geddy himself uses a Jaco Pastorius signature for ONE song...

14. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Rob Trujillo occasionally plays the actual Bass Of Doom. BOOM!

Pastorius-BOD2.jpg

15. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

And oh what a song it is! :bassist:

Did you ever see the documentary "The Game of Snake & Arrows"? "Malignant Narcissism" was, for all intents and purposes, written on a dare thrown down by the producer! ;)

Now, to get back on topic…I've mentioned it before on a similar thread, but Duff McKagan has recently been rockin' a repainted Reggie Hamilton-sig body paired up with a Geddy Lee-sig neck. In fact, Reggie himself confirmed it here on TB! (Thanks again, Reggie! :thumbsup:)

mckagan-620x400.jpg

16. SHOW ME THIS THREAD

wmmj and Malak the Mad like this.
  17. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  18. SonnyBassPlayer

SonnyBassPlayer

Nov 29, 2013
    Italy
    Matt Freeman of Rancid, before having his own signature, used to play a fretted Tony Frankling P bass. He said it was because of both the weight (back problems) and it was the most similar sounding bass to his overly heavy 70s one.

19. veebass

veebass

Mar 27, 2014
    Australia
    I think I read that Nick Seymour of Crowded House tours with Geddy Lee Jazzes.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021