1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do any famous band bassists play a Hofner 500/1 these days?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alex E, May 3, 2006.

1. Alex E

Alex E

Mar 2, 2006
    Hello Kids!

Love the vintage tone of the Hofner. I imagine it would also do fine on more modern stuff with the use of effects.

Who plays them these days? Other than McCartney when he tours.

Also, you Hofner owners out there. What type and gauge of flatwounds do you use on your bass?

2. It isn't an actual Hofner, but Merlo from Jack Johnsons band plays or played an epiphone copy on the recent In Between Dreams tour 2005.

3. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I play my Hofner copy in front of the mirror. . . and I look pretty famous.

I think most Hofner players out there choose a Club Bass (Wilco's bass player, for example) instead of a 500/1, not to be immediately associated with Paul.

I use Thomastik-Infeld Jazz flats in my Rogue, and they sound fantastic. The low tension yields low action and no buzzing.

Tried LaBella Original "Beatle Bass" and they have very high tension and were very bright - nowhere near as nice as the TIs.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Will Lee still plays one.

5. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Supro, Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Source Audio, Pigtronix, & Fishman
    I use a Hofner Club bass. I use the Pyramids that come on the bass. I tried the thinner Rotosound short scale flatwounds that McCartney used at one point in the Beatles, but they knocked the intonation all out of wack and I switched back to the Pyramids, which is fine since I think they sound better. I just saw a picture of McCartney's bass during the rotosound period and he had his bridge totally slanted to keep it intonated on the E-string.

I haven't toured with mine since I got my Lakland USA Hollowbody. It serves a similar purpose and is in the same ballpark as the Hofner sound, but it is easier to maintain.

El Pelusa likes this.
  6. Alex E

Alex E

Mar 2, 2006
    Thanks for the input everyone!

7. HELLO!!!!!!!!!!! CHRIS WOOD!!!!!!

8. timmarks

timmarks Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, D'Addario, Mesa
    +1 chris wood--great...

mike elizondo was pictured with one in an article recently

dave roe, who lives here in Nashville, was using one (Club bass) on the road with Dwight Yoakam last summer, saw him use it on Leno...

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

Hugh McDonald is endorsed by them.