1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do any of you Bass Soloist Use a Looper

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sdguyman, May 6, 2003.

1. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    I'm going to try to gig around town as a soloist. I will probably do a bunch of tapping. I thought about adding a looper to my gear to add a different feel. I'm wondering if there are any other bass soloists out there that use loopers in their set? What are the pros and cons?

I just purchased the Digitech BNX3 to combine all the effects I will use plus it has that looper function.

Thanks in advance!

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Moved to effects.

4. I plan to, using an Akai Headrush, as soon as I find the best place to buy it*.

I look forwards to having lots of fun with it, though I know I'll need a lot of practise getting the looping right.

*all the shops 'round here are telling me it isn't available in this country.....:(

5. I bought mine new at Zobrist music in seattle for $150; the best price anywhere I thought?
    A good sense of time is of course the most crucial element when sampling live, on-the-fly. You may have to work a bit at first but with a little practice it will become second nature to you. Improves your playing as well which is a nice added feature(!)

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I use two ZVex LoFi Loop Junkies. In stereo!! Yeah!!

7. No s***?! really...? wow, that is one funky set-up. I've never heard of any bass dudes who use that Zvex, ever. His web-page for the loop junky a fine read...damn hilarious. "Never sounds like what you played into it. Always alters the original tone and dynamics." Too funny.
    So...what's it like??

http://www.zvex.com/junky.html

[​IMG]

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    it's very organic and beautiful. the loop really gets out of the way when you play over it, and creates a certain atmosphere that the digital units can't do. It only records 20 seconds, and no overdubs or reverse, which are the only drawbacks. Running two at once is cool, especially when you record one loop in 4/4 and the other loop in 7/8...