Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do any of you gigging musicians have second jobs to make ends meet?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by thump326, Jul 28, 2005.

1. thump326

thump326

Apr 30, 2004
    Do any of you gigging musicians have second jobs to make ends meet? Please share them, especially if you enjoy them. I gig a fair amount in college, but there's no way i could survive off it alone.

2. Yep, went for almost a year after I graduated on just gigs but 'starving musician' became a very apt description of me. For the last few months I've been picking up various jobs, mostly trying for occasional or p/t.

Stuff I've done to help me through:

- Sound tech work, both live and in the studio. Enjoyable as at least it's music, but doing live sound really makes me wish I was the one on stage

- House painting. Helped out a buddy, so it wasn't too bad

- After hours cleaner at a school. Excellent money and very flexible hours. There's three of us working as a crew doing what amounts to a single f/t position and it's a great arrangement. There's always extra money around when you're not playing or touring, and always someone to cover for you if you've got a gig.

- Temp agency stuff

- Purolator overnight dock worker. Had to pick up something for the summer since the school is out for two months. I'm hoping to quit once school starts up again, but I guess we'll see.

3. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Self-employed systems analyst but I prefer to play even though the money is way less.

4. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    "starving musicians" makes me think of a Dave Mustaine quote:

"The anger that propelled me in the beginning wasn't anger, it was hunger. We were f****** starving to death and we had to live with fat chicks to feed ourselves. The reason why you live with fat chicks is because they eat."

5. Haha, thats an awesome quote.

I work at a resturant, money AND food (if youre friends with the cooks, free) at the same place.