Do any of you guys know anything about regular guitars?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mears, May 11, 2004.

1. mears

Jan 25, 2003
    I decided to buy a six string because I've always been interested in learning to play a guitar. I decided to buy an Electra (I own an Electra Ric 4100 Clone), but when it arrived today and I hooked it up, I noticed that string six would rub up against the frets with it was strummed. This causes an audible vibrating noise. Anyone know why this would be happening? The guitar is in tune.
  2. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I'm not sure if I know exactly what you mean, but if I read that right you could:

a)Raise your action
    b)Don't hit the strings too hard when you strum

3. Dr Teeth

Dr Teeth

Dec 11, 2003
    Is the neck in good order? Maybe it could be an uneven fret board...
  4. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    how long have you been playing this guitar???

It might also just be you adjusting to guitar from bass. I have a guitar and like once every other month i pick it up and fool around with it, i can't anything to sound right. I'm so used to bass.
  5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    You could have saved yourself all the trouble in the world by just getting a Gretsch
  6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    and spent a fortune on a top of the line gretsch.
  7. Moongarm

Apr 10, 2004
    Check and make sure the neck is straight first. If it is, have a friend who plays guitar play it for a bit. If it still rattles for him/her then I'd raise the action. It's probably a good time to check and adjust the intonation as well. If you're comfortable doing a setup on your bass then you'll be fine with doing one on a guitar. If not take it to your local tech.
  8. mears

Jan 25, 2003
    I'm not sure what condition the neck is in. I suppose I should have mentioned that it came with a tremolo bar, which I screwed in and unscrewed. I didn't think of that earlier, but maybe I could've done something there?
  9. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Take it in to a reputable shop and have them do a full set up. If it's a new guitar it needs a good set up. This will dial in the intonation, action, neck relief, etc. In short, it will make it play well and sound good.

You can do a set up on your own after searching google for guidance, but I suggest you have someone experienced do the first one. Then you can perform subsequent tweakings as needed as time goes by.
  10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Do this
  11. Get it set up. It'll play and sound better, and be more in tune.