Do any of you guys know what the bassist for RATM is using amp wise? I love his tone.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Obsius29A, Oct 18, 2000.

1. Obsius29A

Dec 20, 1999
    Huntington, NY
    I really love the bass tone that I hear w/ Rage. The production of that band is really, in my opinion, the best of any of these modern rock bands.
  2. hope you dont like it too much. i heard they're breaking up. it was announced on my local radio station (live 105, a San Francisco CA, statioin) he said that Delarocha didnt like the activities and direction the band was going, so he wanted to get out now. its said that the VMA stunt the bass player pulled put him over the top.
  3. Obsius29A

Dec 20, 1999
    Huntington, NY
    I know that they're breaking up. Does that mean I can't still like his tone?
  4. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    I dig his tone a lot too. And his playing. This is what I know about his gear, On the first record he used an ernieball/music man stingray and Ampeg SVT II all tube amps w/ ampeg 8x10 cabs. He used a similar set up on Evil Empire, but a jazz bass instead of the stingray. When I last saw them at Coachella in 1999 just before The Battle For Los Angeles came out from what I could see was using Ampeg amps not sure which model but I think it was either SVT II's or IV's. I am sure he was using Ampeg 8x10 pro cabs. Hope this helps.

Bummer that Zack left. They're such a great band. Or were.
  5. nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    i know this isnt excatly towards the amp idea but the tone that he gets comes from the ampeg setup and also his jazz bass he uses he get alot of that mid-low growl

His ('72?) fender without a pickgaurd maple fretboard and Dimarizio Ultra jazz bridge pickup, (turned up higher than neck because he removed the neck volume knob) adds alot to the growl mid range lows he gets;
    oh and the alien sticker with 666 on it above the jack, and the large scratch on the back bottom might even help never know
  6. phunky345

Jun 20, 2000
    Missoula, MT
    I've been searching for that grudgy sound he had on evil empire since I started playing bass! It's so awesome. I almost have it with my washburn p-bass(wp4) with tone/volume all the way up, my zoom effects pedal with "clean distortion" (whatever that is..) all the way up, and the 600-900 hz range all the way up on my amp. Of course, I forget sometimes that that great tone came out of a bunch of studio equipment as well. It's interesting how he just totally changed his sound on battle of los angeles. that tone is easier to get, personally. I just use my yamaha bass and turn up the low mids on my amp. I know this isn't what he does/did for his sound, but I've come close to replicating it on my tight budget.
    p.s. I just don't know what to say now that they broke up. They were probably some of most thought-inspiring idols any teenager could have. They were rebellious, politically intellectual, and funky! Gonna miss them..
  7. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    what did their bass player do at the vma? and yes he uses ampeg 810 cabs not sure what head tho..