1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do any of you guys put flats on your Sadowsky?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rob_the_bassist, Apr 10, 2009.

1. I'm thinking of throwing some TI flats on my Sadowsky but I'm afraid that the tone associated with flatwounds will directly conflict with the hi-fi character of the bass. I love how the Sadowsky sounds now with roundwounds but I'm kind of curious as to how flats would work

Anyone try flats on their Sadowsky / can comment on their experience?

2. specs

specs

Mar 14, 2006
    Hastings, UK.
    Can't help you there mate, Never done it. Sorry.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Nope, SS strings only.

4. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Taichung, Taiwan
    yeah tried a set of TI flats on a Sado 4 string jazz (don't recall the model) didn't dig it at all.

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Briefly had a set of flats on my '90's NYC a couple of years ago and it sounded just "ok". Kinda lacking though. Hard to describe, but they were switched for rounds withing a week or so.

6. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I've had Chromes on my Sadowsky 5 for a couple of months now and I LOVE it!

The chromes are pretty bright, and the Sadowsky of course has lots of highs, so I'm not missing too much there. And the D and G string sound so thick you can cut it with a knife...

My bass has Nordstrand NJ5's in it. It does not have the glassy top end of the typical Sad sound, but it sounds really really good. I prefer it to the sound I got with SS lowriders.

I say try it, and of course don't judge it until you try it in a band context.

7. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I've had flats (Chromes) on my Metro UV70 since soon after I got it a year and a half ago. I love the sound, but I'm not a slapper.

8. I used TI flats on my Sadowsky for quite some time. I'm no pro by any means, but I found the tone to be fantastic. The highs were of course diminished, but they were not completely sapped. Don't expect an old-school tone or anything and you should be fairly pleased.

9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I have been tempted, but since mine is a P/J with a brazilian rosewood fingerboard and alder body, VTC, and hum-canceling pickups, I was afraid the universe might implode, or at least global warming might speed up if I added flats to the equation. LOL!

I may still try it...

10. Many many many times! I ONLY use Sadwsoky flats but I LOVE them on any Sadowsky I have tried them on...I have a set on my NYC Vintage 5 right now and really dig it...

Peace,

T

11. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I had Rogers flats on my PJ5 for a while.

I liked 'em. The pre amp can give you just about all the bright you could want without any finger squeek. It's a VERY viable setup IMHO.

The nature of flats limits you to an old school kind of slap tone if that's an issue for you.

It wasn't for me but the flats didn't really give me the clarity I was used to on the B string and that was an issue for me so they came off.

If I was made of money, I'd probably be using a set of flats with a round B string.

12. I have old TI Flats on an Alembic, which is also a pretty hi-fi bass, and really like the sound and feel at home, in the studio and at small gigs. It records great, but it's not my favorite stage bass because the sound doesn't really project.
    Always thought that the scooped Sadowsky humcancelling pickup sound and the mid-rich TI sound would blend nicely. I'm hoping to have a Sadowsky of my own fairly soon.

13. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Had a set on my fretless for a while. I preferred roundwounds when comparing. The flats killed my fingers, too

Rob

14. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    I very satisfied Sadowsky flats on my Sadowsky vintage reverse PJ5 (alder - Brazilian) for the past 6 years. This combo produces the vintage tone that I've always been looking for.

No regrets. Try it, you'll like it.

15. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Got TI Jazz Flats on my NYC VJ5. Nothing fancy about the playing, but this should give you an idea of the recorded tone:

http://www.indieheaven.com/artist_main.php?id=25446

Click on "Give 'Em Heaven" (Warning: Religulous content).

:cool:

16. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I'm using Chromes and I find the B string to be amazingly tight and clear, much better than any round I've tried. How do the Sadowsky flats compare to Chromes?

17. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    On my RV5 I have done TI flats. They sounded good. B string was great. But I prefer rounds. And as already said. Steel rounds. The Sadowsky just does great with steels. And with the passive tone control, you can get a very defined, punchy, vintage tone.

18. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Jun 8, 2008
    I put Chromes on my "hi-fi sounding" Kubicki and it is a beauty!!
    It did not lose any of the characteristic Kubicki sounds like I was scared it might. I bet they'd sound great on your Sadowsky.