1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do any of you guys worry about getting Doxxed?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by IconBasser, Feb 15, 2020.

1. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    Wazzap TBOT dudes and dudettes!

I've been thinking about the rise of the internet and its impact on our zany species of barely evolved ape-men. For many of us among my generation, the Internet was a brand new playground that us kids jumped into without a second glance. I started dicking around with the internet casually when I was still in grade school. Even though us kids didn't have a clue as to the repercussions of our actions, most of us embraced self exposition without a second thought.

As a result, most of my childhood has been thoroughly documented in chatroom servers and social media sites. All the cringiness, self incriminating evidence, and things better left forgotten are searchable. Hell, even this very website has way more of my past on it than I'm comfortable with (I joined as a teeneager and posted way too much on here). Now, I'm not famous, so the chances of this being a personal problem are slim, but still. Who knows what unforseen consequences may result of baby IconBasser's past being public.

Do any of you guys who have been around the block online for the last 20-40 years or so feel the same way?

2. Not until now.

I didn't know what Doxxed meant.

Thanks man. :atoz:

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

@IconBasser , excellent post and self reflection. I've thought about the same thing as well. If you start getting nervous, just pour another scotch! :D

arbitrary, Qlanq, The Owl and 5 others like this.
  4. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    No.:woot:

5. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Maybe it's just being old and the fact that I was already an adult when the internet happened, but it was always just common sense to me never to put anything online that you wouldn't want known in public - privacy settings and whatever be damned, you can never assume anything is really completely under your control. So no, I'm not too worried about it.

I saw a meme on FB a while back (there was a thematically related political scandal in the news at the time), stating "practically every woman I know under 30 has nudes out there," the point being that we should shame ex-boyfriends/lovers/etc. who release them, rather than the women pictured in them. I totally agree that it's disgusting to release something private like that. But I also can't help feeling - "practically every woman?" Really? What the heck are people thinking?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  6. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    J_Bass likes this.
  7. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    20-40 years? I went to a university in 1994. The first place I encountered the internet. Most people didn’t have PCs at home and laptops weighed a ton. The browser of choice was called Gopher, Netscape was in its infancy and IE hadn’t been invented yet. Chat rooms were beginning to be a thing, but tended to be quiet. I think Facebook is only about 16 years old? So if you grew up with it your generation probably took the biggest hit in terms of documenting your teen years. I was an adult before I really took part in any of it and had a healthy scepticism. I once described the internet as “nearly as good as my local library”, which was true at the time. Most of the content was business and research related. Those growing up now receive online security awareness classes as well as internet bullying advice etc.

Your generation were the pioneers, some of you made it through ok. Some of you took the hit so future generations wouldn’t have to.

8. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Until this thread, I had no idea what 'getting Doxxed' involved, so had to google it.

I think I'm pretty safe...I did MOST of my stupidity before the internet.
    I've occasionally posted something on here that might get me in hot water with the wife, or old band-mates.
    If that happens, I'll let you know, once I'm healed up.
    I keep my FB posting pretty minimal, I'll use private messages to chat to others, and while trawling through my 'likes' given would give you a good idea of my political/religious/social views, I make no secret of them anyway.
    I do have a couple of friends who haven't quite grasped the whole public accessibility of the internet, and have had to advise them several times to remove, or restrict viewing on things.
    When you've got a situation where, for example, the TSA requires access to your social media accounts to visit your country...well, that's gotta be a worry.

I'm thinking it's mostly younger adults who'll have a problem with all this, as stuff that seems so commonplace right now will come back to haunt them in the future. I can visualise peole turning up for job interviews and having to face explaining all kinds of stupid stuff.

Jason Hollar, Tbone76 and rollie 55 like this.
  9. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    I had to search the meaning of the word, didn't know what it meant, but certainly have seen that happen.

Great post, by the way.

I am approximately 10 years older than you. I am part of the generation that knew both sides. I grew up without internet or mobile phones. Playing in the street, out all day and just coming home for dinner.

But I also spent hours and hours playing computer games and started using internet when I was about 18.

mIRC was a thing, I wrote too much in there too, thank God it was all in anonymity.

If I think back, to all the stupid things I did as a teen, I am glad that it was all left in that moment. We lived it, no cameras, no Facebook, no embarrassing photos. Friends laughed, and that was it. That is the way it is supposed to be, in my opinion.

You mess up, you learn the lesson. You grow up and become a better person. You should not be haunted by stupid things you did in the past. Unfortunately, we now live in a world that doesn't forget or forgive.

Tbone76, Atshen, Oddly and 1 other person like this.
  10. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Tom Bomb likes this.
  11. Tom Bomb

Apr 23, 2014
    And it's not uncommon.

12. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Not trying to get things political or break any forum rules. But I will never understand that kind of hate.

The fact that some people thing they have the right to judge another human being for their personal choices or for their way of live, it's something that I can't understand.

Tbone76, pjbassist, fig and 2 others like this.
  13. Tom Bomb

Apr 23, 2014
    Hate is the mask. Bad business.

Gaolee and J_Bass like this.
  14. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

not so much.

i regret a few of my posts here ( :D ),* but i don't really have an 'online presence' beyond TB. when i ran a business i was careful. when i worked for others i was careful. but now i'm retired, almost 70, and so my biggest consideration would be about others (wife and kids and their kids) as opposed to concerns about self. if you tracked down my kids/friends and "doxxed me" they'd laugh at you for not having 'lived it' as they have!

PM me for the nudes! :laugh:

* not as many as some of you might think....or hope! :D

15. TalkBass is the only place I have been and will ever be online, so it's all good.

Tbone76, 5StringBlues and rollie 55 like this.
  16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Everyone judges everyone.... including you.

The difference is that some of us suppress those judgements and treat people with respect anyway. But it's literally not possible to "not judge anyone for anything". Heck, it's not even possible to not judge people by their appearance. Everyone does that. But, again, as long as you treat people with respect you'll be fine.

As for the topic at hand, yeah.... People who spend their teen and young adult years on the internet can get hosed. Just like we pre-internet teens thought we could get away with anything and never have to pay for it, young people on social media post all kinds of stupidity and never think a thing about it.

I guess I was lucky that my shenanigans happened in the back seats of cars and out in fields or unoccupied lake houses. No digital evidence exists.

17. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I was involved in web development from the very early days in the 90’s when I was in my twenties and I was far old enough by the time of the rise of social media to know how to present myself online.

My Christmas present to myself this year was to finally ditch my internet usage and my Facebook account. I get an email or two a month, pay some bills, buy something once in a while. But with few exceptions, the entire WWW is a toxic dystopia.

murphy, bobba66 and ajkula66 like this.
  18. mikeoso

mikeoso Acoustic Curmudgeon

Feb 14, 2014
    eastern Iowa
    I'm 70, and grew up at a time in the 60s when any phone could be tapped, any room bugged, any friend a snitch. If you were smart, you said nothing to anyone that you wouldnt take public.

Sex, drugs, rock n roll? Sure..But nothing I couldnt admit today.

When I hit the web in '96, I never expected privacy. Never put anything on a keyboard that I wouldnt want my worst enemy to have available.

ajkula66, murphy, S-Bigbottom and 2 others like this.
  19. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
  20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Nope, not worried or thinking about it.

-Mike

Tbone76 likes this.