Do any of you not like ampeg?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dan Molina, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I have not seen one complaint on this forum about ampeg. I personally don't like em. I've tried many basses through which I believe is a V-4BH with a PR-410 cab and i could not get the tone I wanted or a tone even close to the one I wanted. Have you guys had any bad expierences with ampeg?
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've never complained about them, but I don't like them. In 1970 I might've bought one, but this is 2004. (Whoa! It sounds so futuristic!)
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

Never....I am actually very fond of the BA-210SP combo, but it isn't better than my Metro, so I won't get one. If I was looking for a 210 combo, I would put it to the top of my list.

4. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    My equipment origanlly consisted of all Ampeg... however, since playing on different equipment, and expanding my horizons (thanks to TB), I've got my mind set on my "final" rig.... and as of now, it would consist of 0 Ampeg products. I'm not really a fan of the older SVT tone, but I think Ampeg's gear is of good quality. However... due to portability, price, and versatility... I've been turned onto other brands that just seem superior to me. Schroeder cabinets... QSC power... a WHOLE wide world of preamps.

Still... hats off to Ampeg. My BXT cabs deliver a sweet sound... but each cab is a 2-man job to lift. yuck. And they can make a great tube or SS head... but its not in my price range. Ampeg and I just werent meant to be, really... at least not at this point.
  5. As a beginner, I bought a new Ampeg combo BA115hp for it's good sound and quality reputation in France.

Sound Ok, however it catches radio programs that disturbs more and more when I play. :eyebrow:
    The music seller told me it's very usual and doesn't know of how to get rid of that.

I tried to mail US Ampeg for advice, never replied .

I resume suspecting either bass guitar or cable, since I bought an used Glockenklang Heart core Amp which is really good stuff even eight years old.
    This one doesn't catch any program but does very nice (uncolored) sound.

Here, I think Ampeg products quality is not so good after all.
    Best regards
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree with that - although I would have said : "In 1980, I might..."

They're OK for that classic rock sound or for punk/new wave/indie - but that's not what I play now! ;)
  7. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    This statement is only for those who have not been around long enough to try or hear or experience years upon years of different amps and equipment:

How can you judge a company of which you base it on, as per your statement, only one amp model with one cab? I find that akin to drawing conclusions from anecdotal storytelling. In that case, every amp and every cab out there must suck because someone, somewhere has tried a combination of amp x and cab y and didn't like it.

For the less experienced (like me, for example): C'mon. Get out there and try EVERYTHING, including Ampeg. Last I checked, Ampeg has many different amps with many different flavors to try through many different cabs. Until you have tried every single one with the background experience of someone who can get the tone they are looking for with almost any set up, I don't think you can ACCURATELY and with justification, shut-out a company from your life, let alone badmouth them...that is unless you just want to for your own personal reasons, and at that point I must agree that anyone can do whatever they want to do.

Just a quick personal example: Until recently, I never gave Fender basses a chance. Didn't liked them, didn't know why, I just didn't. I found them "too common" and clunky, and too traditional. Then I decided for the heck of it to give a Jazz bass a try. Then I ended up buying one. :D Oh how wrong I was, and for no reason. Lesson learned.

8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I resisted Ampeg for a long time, but it just seemed that every time I really liked a tone, it would turn out the artist was using Ampeg. Mind you I'm a rock guy, so it's subjective.

I finally got an Ampeg preamp here a bit ago, and it's done a LOT for my tone. It takes some serious tweaking to do anything but rude rock tones, but that's what I want, so I'm happy. Not many balads in it, but I'm not that kinda guy.

I'm currently GASing to check out some Ampeg cabs, see what happens.
  9. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Have nothing against Ampeg. Seem well-built and reliable and all that schnizzle but its just not MY sound. If I wanted the classic Ampeg, Id buy Ampeg, I just want something different.
  10. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    I played some rigs, but I don't really like them. Not that you can't get a good tone of it -not that I do not really dislike them either- but especially with a 15" cab underneath, it just can't project the tones fast enough. Sometimes a was almost thinking I played out of phase. ;)

No Ampeg for me, the 410' things neither. Highs aren't good at all. If you play groovin' rock, alright..but absolutely not sufficient for jazz/funk/soul to me.
  11. Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    I have owned Ampeg in the past and they were workhorses that got a good rock tone. I use Mesa Boogie now and I like it much better for a variety or reasons (tone, weight etc) One thing I will mention is that having owned a PR410 cab, it does not sound like the average Ampeg cab, it has more of a Hi-Fi sound, and less of the classic Ampeg rock sound in my opinion. Might wanna try different cabs and heads before you completely write them off.
  12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I haven't really liked the large majority of the Ampeg rigs I've played, and I've played a fair amount. I particularly dislike SVTs--they just don't fit what I go for. This doesn't make it bad gear, as I try not to confuse my personal taste with objective reality, just gear that's not suited to me.

I will say, though, that a good B-15 has its uses in a recording session, and I think that whatever that B combo is with the 15", the tweeter, and the black tolex (not the blue one) seems like a pretty decent practice/small gig amp to me. (Is it the BA100 or something?)
  13. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I like Ampeg, but over the years find myself using them less and less. Mainly 'cause I'm needing a cleaner sound lately, and the Ampeg preamps seem to be geared towards more of a tube sound. Love 'em in the studio though, generally they record pretty well. Especially like the B-15's, and of course the P-bass-through-SVT thing is an industry standard, and it's hard to wrong with that particular setup if that's the sound you're looking for.
  14. incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I use the Ampeg SVP-Pro preamp and if something happened to it I would buy another without hesitation. I'm not a big fan of their cabinets though.....the only one that I was ever satisfied with was the PR1832HE (1x18/2x10/2x6/tweeter) but it was such a pain to haul around that I dumped it in favor of some smaller Mesa cabs. The Ampegs always sounded kinda dry/sterile to me.
  15. Back in the day (late sixties-early seventies) I preferred the Fender sound to Ampeg. Over the years I've converted to more modern, hifi equipment so I was intrigued when Ampeg brought out their Portabass line (supposedly relatively flat and uncolored).

I recently bought a PB 1x10 and have been very pleased. While the sound is not as detailed as my Acme, it is relatively flat in response, very lightweight and amazingly loud for a single ten.
  16. I love ampeg heads. But I'm not a fan of most of their cabs.

But then again, I've never really played through a cab I liked.
  17. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound

18. I think the best way to get the ampeg tone without owning a bunch of ampeg stuff, is by running an ampeg preamp into a more hi fi head.

That's what I'm going to do. GK-SVP-BDDI all in the same rig.

19. Same Here... I love the ampeg heads, specially my SVT Classic but I don't like their cabs...