Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do any of you old school players(I mean real old school)remember Robert 'Pops"Popwel

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by hands5, Feb 19, 2003.

1. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I there was anybody that had a monster groove,then it was Robert Pops Popwell of the early Jazz Crusaders(Larry Carlton was the guitarist at the time we're talking early 70's-real early 80's) if you old school cats" love the solo that Willie Weeks did on Dony Hathaway live(for those who may have it)on Everything is Everything,then you must listen to the solo that Pops does on the tune Spiral on the Those Southern knights lp and he grooves likes this on the hold lp.He also does some nice in-the-pocket work on the following lp Free As the Wind.

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    In the 70's I saw the Crusaders with Pops Popwel, he smoked! I first saw his name on a couple Rascal albums from the early 70's that also included Buzzy Feiten......great stuff! Pops is a preacher now and has his own church..........must be a great sunday service:bassist:

3. Pops is on many of the LP's by Eumir Deodato (I own most of them). I saw him play (w/ Deodato) in Manila (Philippines) in the 70's. If I'm not mistaken, he's also on Larry Carlton's "Collections" - I'll have to dig out the LP and check.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yeah...we used to cover "Spiral" back in the '80s.
    The Crusaders' Images is another I like with Pops.
    I guess Popwell was the 1st "real" bassist the Crusaders had(nothing against Wilton Felder)...the difference was pretty huge. ;)

The Rascals' album Jerry mentioned is quite good(The Island Of Real).
    I also just picked up a Les Dudek album called Say No More with Popwell, Rainey, Tony Williams, etc.

So Popwell is still playing bass in his Church?

5. Yep.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sure do. The Crusaders' catalog is one more thing I have no one to play with.

"River Rat" is still one of my favorites... no "chops", just groove. "Keep that same old feeling" was the first tune I learned, pretty sure that's Wilton.

:bassist:

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Brad-
    I'm thinking that's Popswell...the change(after the vocals) has some nice, tasty doublestops(IIRC). This part especially, to me, doesn't sound like Felder, though as usual... ;)

Felder plays some nice R&B/Funky things on Chain Reaction & Southern Comfort...IIRC!

And I haven't played a Crusaders' tune with any LIVING people since about '83.

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    To this day 'Southern Comfort' is one of my favorite old school "soul jazz" albums......I like Wilton's playing on there:cool: Man!........every time I play that album, it takes me back a long way....there is no other time machine in the world like music:)

9. I like that. I like that a lot! How true that statement is.

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I agree 100%!
    ...got home today & re-visited:
    The Crusaders-Images
    Tom Scott & The LA Express-Tom Cat
    (The connection? Joe Sample & Larry Carlton played on the previous Tom Scott/LA Express album).

Anyway-
    I was instantly transported back to when & where I was while attempting these tunes either in the bedroom or with the guys.
    Geez, listening TODAY & thinking what/how I was doing back then-
    I did no justice to those tunes...at all!

"Tom Cat" has a nice little groove goin' on.
    "Rock Island Rocket", "Good Evening Mr. & Mrs. America & All The Ships At Sea", & "Day Way" still rock!

11. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I have to agree that the difference was huge with him playing with the Crusaders than Wilton Felder (who by the way played sax in the group)

12. mcdonap

mcdonap

Sep 25, 2001
    I really like Popwell's playing on "The Baked Potato Super Live" with Greg Mathieson, Steve Lukather and Jeff Porcaro.

13. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Read an article about Pops in Bass Player back in the 90's. It mentioned the church he preached in. On a visit to Nashville I made it a point to attend on of his Sunday services. There was Rev. Robert Popwell preaching his butt off, and playing his old P bass in full Sunday robes. I can't say for sure if God had a hand in it, but Pops was playing some swing lines to die for!!! After the service I had the EXTEME pleasure of talking with the Rev. He was one of the nicest men I have ever had the chance to meet. The same could be said about his entire congregation. Here was a white guy from NY in an all black southern baptist church, feeling like I truely belonged there. A magical day to say the least.....

14. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    GOD IS GOOD