Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do any of you run sound from stage while you are playing?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cb56, Feb 10, 2002.

1. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I don't mean just your band, I mean you the bass player being in charge of the sound system while your band plays. :( I've done this before and it is a royal pain trying to play bass and adjust the sound system at the same time, but it looks like I may have to do it again with my band. Of course having a real sound man would be the best solution but that cuts into everybodies paycheck at the end of the night. I do have some experience with running sound equipment, but do not consider myself to be a qualified soundman. Any web pages that I could go to to learn the basics? Ideas? suggestions?

2. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    If you find one, let me know. I usually try to run out front a little before we start, but after we hit the set, it's nothing but damage control.

3. if i weren't setting up and running sound and lights as well as playing bass, i'd feel that i missed out on half of the fun!!!!!!!!!!

if you enjoy, and spend time doing, the "soundman" thing... your passion and experience will only grow.

just don't expect yourself to yield perfect mixes time after time. it's an art as well as a science.

i respect and admire your determination

:D

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I've had to do this a LOT in the past few years. Mainly because I own the PA (this also makes me the Band Leader :D )....which is kind of ironic because my hearing is the worst in the band...

My advice is to play with people who can control their own volumes in relation to each other, without too much intervention. Most pro-level players will do this automatically. If you can get this happening, the rest is easy. Also, keep your rig simple, but high quality, so that most everything sounds good with flat eq or with minimal tweaking...try to learn to use mic placement in place of eq and it'll make your life much easier.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts