Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do any sets have even tone across all strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by biscuit, Aug 30, 2000.

1. biscuit

biscuit

Mar 6, 2000
    Virginia, USA
    Is there a brand of strings that has an even tone across all the strings? Every set of strings I have tried has large tonal variations between the strings when played acoustically and these variations are magnified when actually playing through an amp. Usually the E and A strings sound similar and the D and G strings sound similar. Sometimes the E, A and D strings have the same tone and then the G string sounds like an acoustic guitar string. I have never been able to find a set of strings that has the same tone across all the strings.

I have tried D'Addario XLs and Chromes, Fender taperwound and standard nickel, GHS boomers and Brite flats and several others. The problem is the same on all of my basses (Jazz, P-bass, Guild Acoustic and a Starfire). Whenever I walk up a scale you can definitely hear a difference when crossing to certain strings.

Has anyone else experienced this?

2. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Try a set of Thomastiks, I can't guarantee that they'll be to your satisfaction but I think their string sets are well matched.