Do any stack jazz (humbucking) sound like classic jazz?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sheepdog, Aug 7, 2003.

1. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Looking for 5 string jazz pickups (stack for humbucking). I love the sound of the more classic tones (like Lindy Fralin), but don't like the hum. Do any stack jazz sound like classic jazz pickups?
  2. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Do yourself a favor and look into the DiMarzio UltraJazz 5. They are humbuckers, but NOT stacked... rather, they are like a P-bass pickup within a J-shell. That is, there is 1 coil for the D + G strings, and another coil for the B, E, and A strings (or vice-versa).

I have the 4-string version of these pups in my early 70's J-bass and am very happy with them. Sound great, and it's very cool to swtich to one pickup and not hear a 60 Hz hum.
  3. I can vouch for the Ultra jazz 5's, the have some pretty sick tone. When I was looking for Jazz p'ups for my warmoth I wanted that jazz tone, so I looked at these and decided to go with them.

Things to look out for, both pickups are the same size (I think its 3.75" long), but are very quiet and have excellent tone. The neck pickup is extremely fat, sounds awsome. The bridge is very funky and defined, but has plenty of low end to it.
  4. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    what about the sadowsky J (humcancelling)?

Other than the fact they are 230, anyone have experience with these? Also seen some Seymour Duncan Jazz 5 stacks. Anyone use these?

Thanks for the advice on the ultra jazz...I will look into those as well.
  5. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Fender's Noiseless pickups were designed with just that purpose in mind. Vinage-sounding humbuckers.
  6. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii

What kind of tone are you looking for specifically? Marcus Miller funk/slap, Geddy Lee rock, etc.

There are certain tonal characteristics that are unique to the single coil Jazz pick ups (the type installed in the vintage bases), and you can't really get the same tone from humbuckers, hum cancelling, stacked, noiseless, etc., other type of pickups.