Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do Artists Use There Own Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Oct 1, 2002.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    This is a do famous artists really use there signature basses.
    Some I find hard to believe like the John myung yamaha does he use a off the shelf model? Stings new fender does he really use a bass thats worth $650 or what ever street price is on these.

Some I can under stand like Stanley Clarkes alembics because they cost a hell of a lot of money and are reflected in his tone just like Micheal Manrings hyperbass.

Are we buying cheap rip offs or the real thing, should all signature basses be sworn off because there nothing like what your bass hero plays?

Thanks in advance.
    Hope I haven't offended anyone.

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Depends. Roscoe Beck uses the Roscoe Beck 5-string; he helped design it. Billy Sheehan claims that the Yamaha Attitude a "kid buys off the shelf with his hard earned money" is the same bass he is playing. John Pattitucci plays his signature, and so would I, had I the chance.

Now, in terms of say, the Sting signature, or the Geddy Lee signature, these basses are based on basses (that doesn't sound right) that already exist. The GL bass is meant to replicate Geddy's 70's Jazz. Does he use the replica? Hell no! He uses the 70's jazz! Similarly, Sting uses his 50's P, etc.

3. BassPlayerGush

BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    PA
    flea does

4. FiedelP

FiedelP

May 24, 2002
    Hamburg, Germany
    I'd say this signature thing, esp. how Fender is doing it, is gone completely nuts. It's just a big company paying whores. What Fender is doing is just ridiculous. Don't they have customers with a brain? But as long as some of the instruments are good, I don't care for the name. As long as it's not a sting-inlay. I have two signature-basses from bassists I couldn't care less.
    Dirk

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    What it boils down to is that there are two different categories of signature basses (ok possibly a third):

1. The first is the kind of signature bass such as Patitucci's, Sheehan's or Stu Hamm's. These are basses that those guys helped design and wanted certain things to their specs and whatnot. Seems to me that very often the artist actually plays this model or something very close.

2. The other kind is the ones such as Geddy Lee, Marcus Miller, Sting etc.... These artists play some kind of bass, usually a vintage year model or something, and instead of the artist designing a bass the manufacturer basically just tries to make a bass that emulates that artist's vintage bass. Some of these work out better than others and in that case of course the artist doesn't actually use the signature model because it's new replica of their classic bass.

I mentioned a possible third...that's basically when they pay some whore to put his name on a bass which he has nothing to do with and doesn't play or even play anything that is remotely like it.

That's how I see it.

brad cook

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    iirc geddy has a few geddy lee model basses as backups that he plays from time to time in his show - he's touring with 4 jazz basses right now, 3 of which see action (1 backup), one detuned with a low d, one detuned a whole step (d-g-c-f) for 2112 among other things, and the main one that is the basis for the sig model.

7. FiedelP

FiedelP

May 24, 2002
    Hamburg, Germany
    Have to ad just one thing. I like the way Musicman is doing their buiz. At least till now. In a way all that marketing sh** the other companies are doing just serves them. They don't do endorsements or signature-models. Whenever you see someone playing one of their instruments you're 100% sure, that they do it, because they want it and because of the instrument and for nothing and noone else.
    Dirk

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Well color me wrong. (Which I think is kind of like taupe.)

I stand by my point though. I'm sure there are SOME artists who never touch the signature that is based on their vintage. I picked a bad example.

BTW- I saw Rush on this last tour. Great show. I saw three basses, but if he swapped out to a signature I probably wouldn't have noticed. All I saw were two black ones and a red one.

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

[​IMG]
    John Petrucci sig

[​IMG]

:D

10. FiedelP

FiedelP

May 24, 2002
    Hamburg, Germany
    ...but I was talking 'bout people with brains and musical instruments, not that peculiar kind of thing you've posted here.
    They don't seem to believe in their g*****s.
    P.S. They don't give me money and I don't own a single MM.
    Dirk

11. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Thanks, I was going to do this same but I was gunna add: :rolleyes: :p

12. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Since someone brought up John Petrucci, I can tell you he spent about one year designing and tweaking his signature guitars until they met his standards (custom body, neck profile, pickups, trem and colors). I've chatted with him after shows, and his line was a labor of love.

Besides one custom-made doubleneck (12/6 for "Solitary Shell" live), all his touring and recording guitars are off the shelf models.

John Myung is the same way with his Yamaha line. I know that not many here are fans, but he spent a good deal of time with YGD (Yamaha Guitar Development, the US "thinktank" for Yamaha instruments) comparing different woods and electronic for his signature model. He also used shelf models (both his signature and several TRB and Pattituci fretted and fretless) until his most recent tour, where he's been using a prototype for a new version of the RBX-JM6. I've had conversations with John M. as well, and he's extremely proud to have had a hand in developing a six-string that is constructed of quality material at an accessable price point.

13. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Willis apparently does.

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    IMO a lot of this animosity towards signature instruments probably developes after the owner finds out that the instrument alone will not make them play like the artist... therefore there must be something "special" about the bass the artist actually plays.

I've played Gary Willis' personal bass and an off the shelf GW Ibanez at the same sitting. They're the same, with the exception of the tuner handles IIRC.

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Could be, could be...

Personally I don't really care. It's all just another bass to me. If it's a good bass then cool, if it's not then don't play it.

brad cook

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I read an interview with Sting where he said he doesn't use his 50s P on the road, as it is too fragile and would be too difficult to replace - that's why he had Fender build him some replicas that he could use and they then both thought it would be a good idea to make these available as a production bass.

17. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    here's what i know about Sting.

Sting don't use his original bass on the road due to the high value of this bass and the troubles that a bass so old could find on the road. so Fender Custom Shop built an exact replica of this bass after inspecting the original one. then Fender Japan decided that there could be interested people in this replica and started the production of the Sting which is an affordable version of the replica built by the custom shop for Sting.

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Didn't I just say that!! ;)

19. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i call that telepathy!:D

20. Then there are examples like the Spector Rex model - he uses the American made Spector, but they also make a Korean made Rex model, which more of us can afford. Not the same bass by any means.