1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do bands without gigs have more drama?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jive1, Oct 2, 2008.

1. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Just something that I noticed. Bands that are working steadily have less drama, or at least less overt drama. My theory is that if it's a steady paying gig, people tend to want to be more professional in their approach, thus less drama

Do you think it's true?

2. It certainly seems like that in my experience.

3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yes. Attitudes, egos, addictions, non-compromise, etc. are all gig-killers. You won't be asked back, trust me.

Riis

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I would concur, though I think a non-professional in a gigging band can kill it just as easily.

5. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    *Ed McMahon voice on*

You are correct sir !

6. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    It really depends. If all the members of the non-gigging band are on the same page in terms of their objectives, then there should be less drama then a gigging band that has to deal with the stress of managing the rigors of playing out.

7. Just a thought for consideration; maybe bands with less drama get more gigs?

8. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Depends on what stage of "non-gigging" the band is in. If it's a start-up group just getting set lists and tunes together in preparation of some solid leads for playing out, usually not a big drama issue. But if it's 6-8 months of rehearsals and still no gig opportunities, then yeah, way too much drama :rolleyes:

Even worse is the band that plays out occasionally, but then has no new gigs booked. Finger pointing will start up and everyone will be b*tching like a bunch of teenage school girls ...

Those are the reasons I never, ever get involved with a start up band or a "play out occasionally" band .... either it's a real gigging band that is regularly booked or I'll pass on it, thanks ... :meh:

9. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    More gigs, less time to fight, too busy playing.

10. I think there is a certain strong correlation to a lack of drama and having lots of gigs, but always keep in mind that gigs can cause drama, too. Overbooking, low turnouts, bad soundmen, getting screwed by the venue, tired of playing certain songs, etc, hinder things.

It's really about working with mature musicians with grounded personalities. I don't know what it is about music that can turn a respectable and reliable person into pissy overgrown children with an overinflated ego, an inability to compromise, temper tantrums at the flick of a switch, and the willingness to burn bridges like fire is going out of style.

11. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Portland
    Interesting observation. The personnel changes more often in non-working groups. The rehearsals are often remedial teaching new players and less about learning new tunes.

Yup, there is more drama - definitely.

12. I don't know. when I was gigging, there are times when I wanted to beat my bandmates with a mic stand. Now I'm in a casual monthly jam band, there are times when I want to beat my jam-mates with a mic stand.

So, I vote carrots.

13. absolutely. bands that don't gig basically end up walking around sullenly, focusing on "who sucks", being way too nervous to get out the door, and the classic "we just gotta play and talk about this later" maneuver. All it does is make the tension moreso because your really good but it doesnt help because your nervous, or you really suck because you finally broke down and lost it, and then it's just a matter of time before the band cracks.

14. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    My band gigs pretty steady, and we have more drama than a Spanish language soap opera.

(After the blow out with the singer about 3 months ago, things are a lot better. It was a keyboard player before that, and a guitar player before that, and another guitar player before that.)

15. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I'm religiously offended by this thread. ;)

16. I think there's definitely a correlation between gigs and lack of drama, but it's hard to say what causes what.

It's easy to imagine that bands with no drama get gigs because the members get along and they get stuff done. But it's also easy to imagine that bands that get gigs don't have drama because the members have a stronger interest in staying in the band and not causing trouble.

Or it could be a third factor: maybe musicians with mature, professional attitudes get gigs and don't cause drama.

17. OXploiter

OXploiter

Aug 1, 2006
    I can't say for sure that this is true.

I think that a lot of it has to do with the personalities in the band - who appears to be "running the show", what the power structure/dynamics are.

Not naming any names, but I've been in bands that have gigged regularly, and still come into conflict over things like song selection for set lists, which is really a proxy for other problems like who's really in control, why some members' input don't have as much weight, how much give-and-take there really is, etc etc.

Urgh.

18. mdiddium

mdiddium

Jun 21, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    It can certainly lead to more drama, IMO.

We were gigging steadily for years until we finally decided that, for our next record, we want to do it the right way. Take a few months off of playing gigs for heavy pre-production, work with a producer to polish the songs, and then head into the studio to take our time making something we can be proud of (while raising funds all the while).

The pre-production proved to be more grueling than anticipated, and tempers and egos have flared since playing gigs are oftentimes the "reward" of being in a band. Going months doing hard work with no reward certainly led to drama.

19. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    I would think it's the opposite:

Bands with less drama get steady work.

They prioritize the practical responsibilities of playing together and playing out above their own drama.

I'm thinking of the real working bands, tho, not high profile VH1 behind the music has beens.

20. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I don't believe so. Most of the bar bands I've gigged with steadily have had their share of drama. Of the bands I play in now, the band that gigs the least has the least drama... probably just a coincidence, but who knows? The last non-gigging band I was in developed more drama after they started gigging... again, coincidence? It's hard to remember back before that, but from what I recall the non-gigging bands were merely having fun as often as not.

Also, from talking to musician friends who do the corporate/top-40 thing (i.e. they gig more frequently and make more money than me), the busiest bands can be cutthroat: there are bandleaders who mess with the money and change the rules once you've joined ("You must have mis-heard, I never promised you I wouldn't overbook your existing dates!"), plus all kinds of politicking and backstabbing.

I don't mean to say that gigging bands are worse, only that IME they don't seem to be better.