Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do Bart pickups mate well with the Aguilar obp-3?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Schwinn, May 7, 2004.

1. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Your experiences, thoughts, opinions?

2. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I installed an OBP-3 pre with a couple of Bart soapbars several weeks ago and IMO it sounded good. It had a fairly aggressive sound with a good range of highs and lows. I really prefered the mid's of a Bart pre but that could have been attributed to the bass that I did the install on (G&L). I've heard other TB'ers state that they felt the Aguilar pre's were very noisey but the OBP-3 I installed was nice and quite. The Aguilar and Bart do require a great deal of wiring to install so I wouldn't recommend the installation to someone with very little soldering/wiring experience. To assure that the system is quite you really need to shield the control and P/U cavities well. I think poor installation is probably the reason for most of the comments in the area of noisey Aguilar pre's (and Bart's). Another pre that sounds good with the Bart's is the Demeter. It's cost a little more $$$'s but does come prewired. It's a much warmer (and natural) sounding pre. It is noticably quiter than the Bart and Aguilar but not nearly as aggressive sounding as the Bart or Aguilar. Actually sounds very close to plugging into a Demeter outboard pre. I've only installed 2 Demeter pre's but they seem to sound well with a variety of P/U's (at least I can vouch for the fact that they sound good with EMG's and Bart's). I've got another Demeter coming that will be installed in a Gecko that I'm putting together. I'm using Bart soaps (72M45C) P/U's for that project. If you're interested I can let you know how that turns out.

3. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL

Thanks for the input. I got a bit concerned because I have an obp-3 ready to install and I'm using Bart pickups (have one and looking for another). But yesterday I heard from a reputable source that the aguilar will "not like" the barts because the barts need gain and the aguilar is 0 gain, whatever that means. He said it would sound awful. But I always heard that the aguilar pre will work nicely with bart pups :confused:

4. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Tone is certainly subjectable but the sound that I got with the Bart/Aguilar was anything but awful. Based on his comment "Auguilar is 0 gain" I'd say that he was referencing the OBP-1 not the OBP-3. The OBP-3 is very close in design to the Bart 3-band pre.

5. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    That's probably true since I didn't specify which aguilar preamp. He may have been referencing the old one. Anyway, brian from bassgear also is helping put my mind at ease with this issue. So it looks like others think my plans should work. I just didn't want to go through all of the installation and expense to have a less than great sound. Thanks Jome77. I'm going to install every thing in a week or two when I have a free weekend. I'll post how it turns out.

6. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    bump. I'm going to wiring the preamp next week (as soon as I get some copper tape).

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    For What It's Worth:

I have an OBP-3, couple NTMB's, Bart TCT's, EMG BTC, and I used to have an NTBT and OBP-1 - and working on getting an EMG BQS. Also had the Duncan switchable active EQ pups which I'd guess bare some resemblence to their so-called "tone circuit." In my recollection, the OBP-1 was pretty anemic and the NTBT was pretty killer for a 2 band. But as far as the affect on tone, they're transparent enought I can't I tell one from another. And I've used them all with various manufacturers pups.

The OPB-3 with the variable mid option is a nice touch.