Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do bass amplifiers get damaged if i play guitars on them???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FractalUniverse, Feb 21, 2002.

1. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Do bass amplifiers get damaged if i play guitars on them???

2. I´m not very experienced on the amps and speakers field, but i think that the possibility that playing a guitar through a bass amp damages it is quite fewer than damaging a guitar amp by playing a bass through it..

But maybe if you put lots of distortion and boost the high mids and treble freqs, the speaker could get damaged someway.. :confused:

3. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    You won't damage the amp, but don't expect very good sound either.

4. Well, for starters, i'll answer the question and tell you no, they don't get damaged, you can play a guitar just fine through a bass amp, but if you use distortion, turn the horn off.

Now for the second note, this has got to go, and i'll do just that. Off to amps with you.

5. Your amp will probably thank you for not asking so much of it.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Brooks, you oughtta hear my SWR WM-12 with a guitar running through it. It's fully giggable.

7. I use my Ampeg bass amps for guitar. The 15's are a bit slow, but it still works. Turn the graphic EQ off, and turn the treble up a bit. Works great.

8. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    yeah, i use my epiphone holowbody an an Ampeg B100R and it sounds really, really good. i actually went to GC and played guitar amps and couldnt find a better sound than what i got out of the Ampeg.

so, no. i dont think it'ss hurt your amb and if its a good amp you might get a good sound.

9. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    yeah i had that setup going for a while to and it was really good!

10. fender bassman was a bass amp wasnt it, and my friends fender 50's telles sounds great through my crate to ampeg ( probably the onlyt hing that does)

11. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Depends on the Amp. 50's and 60's Fender Bassmans were widely preferred by guitatists for their tone.

12. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    my setup on guitar is:

fender stratocaster
    hughes and kettner tubeman 3 channel preamp
    eko all tube head as poweramp
    ampeg svt 410 he

and the sound is really good....

13. corrosiv

corrosiv

Mar 12, 2002
    IIRC, Josh Homme of Kyuss played guitar through a bass amp to create a legendary sound.

14. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I would think guitar would be a hell of a lot less demanding on a bass speaker than slap!

15. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    and you think right, in fact bass speaker are much expensive....:(

16. Many bass speakers are woofers, 15's and 18's usually subwoofers. But the 10's are midrange woofers. You'll get a wholesome tone out of it if you put guitar through it. My brother plays through my home built amp with the fullworks of effects too. Sure its bassy, but its also thick into the 4x10's and doesn't get muddy.

Amps for basses are usually more rugged, they have to deal with low frequencies and longer waves forms. Guitars use the mid to high-ish end and don't need too much to amplify them. Well they do, but your amp will be fine.

:D:D

Merls