Do Bass Cabs have to be Broken In???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, May 9, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    when i messed with my git gear, i had to "break-in" my new speakers for the best possible tone to alleviate that sterile, stiff feel they get from the factory. is it the same with bass rigs?
  2. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    The speaker cones will loosen up for the first 40 or 50 hours or so of normal playing, then it will sound like the designer intended.
  3. a friend of mine is a cab-builder, but he only builds home-stereo cabs.. he always connects his computer with an amp to the speakers, lets the computer play different beepingtones at different lengths, different volumes and different frequencies for 2 days, and THEN sells the cab..but i dunno if he does it for fialure-testing or breaking in..

i'll ask him later on..
  4. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    In the owners manual for my Eden cabs, it says to play the cabs at low to medium volume for many hours before playing at high volumes. They say this is to "break-in" the speakers. So, to answer the question...yes.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I did not know this. Hope I didn't mezz up any o' my Edens.
  6. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    When I bought my second Eden 2-10XLT brand new, I had owned my first 2-10XLT for 2 years. So, prior to breaking it in as recommended by the manufacturer, I A/Bed the cabs. This is what I heard from the new cab, as compared to the "broken-in cab":

The new cab had less ultra-low end. Although noticable, it was not a tremendous lack of lows. It had a little more mid-bass and hi-mids. It also sounded slightly softer, although the difference in volume was almost imperceptible.

I haven't gotten around to A/Bing the cabs now that the new one is broken in. I may try it after I get back from my trip at the end of the month.
  7. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thx for the responses all...

the only reason i ask is cause, while messin with my new rig, i sorta slammed 600 watts of Stewart World into my poor Aguilar GS112 for a split second. i know i'm nit pickin', but i just hope my poor baby didnt sustain anything bad... :(