Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do bass guitars have batteries?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HostileApostle, Aug 14, 2002.

1. I never knew this until my Ibanez SR-400 started acting up. I took it in to a shop and the lady told me by keeping it plugged in for large amounts of time I was running down the "battery."

I never knew that basses had batteries. Do they? Was she BSing me? What is the battery used for and what is the need for one?

2. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    She wasn't BSing you they have a batteries. They are used to run the onboard pre-amp (bass, mid, treble cut/boost knobs). When you don't have a battery in or have a dead one they don't work.

3. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    If it's got active electronics inside, then yes, you would have probably a 9v battery in there. And yes, leaving it pluged in would drain the battery faster.

~Cheers~

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

A bass can be either active or passive.

passive=no battery
    active=battery

When a bass is passive, electric waves coming thru the cable are simply modulated by going thru the pickups and go back to the amp.

With an active bass, signal can be processed thru an electronic circuit to boost or cut specific frequencies.
    A built-in power sourse also allows you to lower your instrument's impedance, so you can avoid hum and run longer cables.

Most of the time, there is a switching system in the jack plug that disables the battery to avoid running it too fast.

Active basses are usually run with 1 or 2 9V batteries. Some of them (lightwave systems) carry an integrated accumulator that can be recharged just like a cellphone.
    Some others (Alembic series I and II) can be phantom powered from an external source thru the cable.

5. *Some* basses need batteries, depending upon whether or not they have active circuitry.

6. rfl2006

rfl2006

Aug 14, 2002
    What I wanna know is how often I need to replace my battery

7. Every couple of months if you leave it unplugged after playing.

Generally, the battery only need replacing after your sound is distorting or losing its volume, but every couple of months will keep you from ever going through that.

8. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I've heard rumors of players going as long as a year without having to change batteries.

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

A battery in, say, a MusicMAn lasts more or less a year.
    EMG PUs don't eat much neither.

10. And if you have an EBS amp (like me) you can use it to power your bass with a stereo jack!

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Not quite - no "electric waves" are coming from the amp down the cable. The pickups act as generators and create the signal, sending it up the cable to the amp.

12. I'm a passive guy all the way but here's a little trick I learned from my mom:

When you install a new 9volt battery, write the date on a piece of masking tape and stick it on the inside cover.

13. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Mine has a battery but it's just to start it. After that, it runs on a magneto.

It does not have an onboard battery charger so new batteries are required occasionally.