Do bass players have a certain kind of personality?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Howard K, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    I was told last night, by a fellow bass player, that I dont have a bass players personality.

The comment wasnt meant to offend, it was just an observation... but the thing is, from the interviews I read and the comments you hear people make about other bass players, I think the guy is right!

I'm an outgoing person, I'm not shy, I can talk about anything to anyone and have a laugh with complete strangers as if I've known them for years... and I'm proud of it.

The impression I get is that most bass players tend to be rather introverted, almost conservative people (I dont mean politically), who play bass because they're quiet, thoughtful types suited to the supportive role.

Now I LOVE the supportive role, I love to make other peoples music sound better, but I'm so far from the a-typical bass player it's untrue!

So, what are y'all like? Are you outgoing non-typical bass players or are you the quiet type who fits 'the bass player profile'?

Also, do you think personality is genuinely important in defining whether you will be a good at playing a certain instrument or not, in this case bass?

nice one
  2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Personality will affect what instrument you choose to play, but it doesn't determine your future level of skill. Personality doesn't matter, it's your attitude towards the instrument that will affect how you do with it.

I'm a quiet fella for the most part.
  3. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I think I do have a bass players' personality.....but then again maybe I don't. I'm usually the quiet, chilled out one while with friends, but sometimes I'll be all crazy and not like that at all.

It really depends on my mood and who I'm with. Maybe I'm bi-polar to an extent. :meh:

I dunno, I'm still trying to figure myself out.
  4. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    I think we're all pretty much on the verge of schitzophrenia really. I know I am.
  5. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Dont be so stupid. No you're not.
  6. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    I am kind of a soft spoken introvert unless you piss me off. :D As a former guitar player/singer, I had gotten used to being front and center and having all eyes on me. After moving to bass, at first I had withdrawals from being in the spotlight. Like it or not, unless we are up front soloing or doing a fancy pop slap fest, most people aren't looking at us in a band setting. We're just part of the decor that goes unnoticed for the most part. After getting used to that however, I found the role of bass player to be a more peaceful place for my personality. I am a supporting role, I don't have to be up front and extroverted, I can just do my thing and be myself, and it suits me fine. Yeah, I'm not noticed much by the audience...unless the band plays without me...Then when I come back I'm surrounded by people telling me how thin and crappy the band sounded. That's just enough of a spotlight to keep me happy! :bassist:
  7. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I'm certainly the organised one in the band...

8. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Good point... I'm pretty organised myself. I'm ALWAYS on time. I dont mind others being late, usually, but I hate being late myself.

In fact it's a running joke that myself and the conga player (he usually gives me a lift) get ourselves to rehearsals and gigs with almost miltary precision,l split-second timing!

Sychronise watches, etc!
  9. I'm not quiet but I'm not THAt outgoing. Maybe I'm half&half like that fake "****ty" sugar.
  10. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Sometimes I'm introverted and sometimes I'm not.

It's kinda funny - some people think I'm shy, most think I'm a complete nut.

I suppose this shines through in my bass playing as well - sometimes I'm more than happy to hang back and play simple lines, other times I just want to rip it up.

The "bass-players-and-celibacy" jokes sure seem accurate as far as I'm concerned, though.
  11. ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    I seem to have the same personality as you Howard. I'm outgoing, can laugh with strangers, will talk to anyone about anything (drives my wife nuts) but can generally converse on a wide variety of topics. I also love the support role, I don't have the chops for the flash so I just concentrate on making everyone else sound better and get the butts on the dance floor. I don't know about personality defining a certain instrument, i've worked with prima donna singers and guitar players but i've also worked with some of the nicest, warm hearted singers and guitar players. I've also worked with some very introverted singers and musicians through the years but everyone has taught me something. Drummers?? don't get me started there. (jk)
  12. stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    well being out on my own(sort of) has made me realize how organized and clean i can be(i cleaned andys kids bathroom just cuase i felt like it haha)

i am shy at times.... its pretty much one of those "why are you talking to me" things. im not doment(cs) at all but i hate to be controled. i guess you can call that layed back. i love to just sit there and fret away on my bass very few things in life make me happier.

now is the time for self discovery... :confused: waiting to see what ill find:confused:
  13. that's pretty much me as well.
    I can't be bothered joining in with smalltalk, and find myself cringing when I hear people regurgitating exactly what they've read/heard as if it's their own thoughts, so I usually stay out of conversations that don't interest me.

it's probably due to having grown up in the shadow of an extroverted older brother, who, funnily enough, plays guitar;)
  14. rollo47

rollo47 Wraggotry in Motion

Nov 12, 2002
    Perth, Australia
    To those who know me, I'm loud(ish), outgoing and sometimes obnoxious. To those who don't know me, I'm quiet, and only speak when I'm spoken to. It all depends on who I'm with and what sort of mood I'm in. I have no idea what I'm like on stage, but people have said to me that I look bored when I'm playing bass (strange that, it's the actually the exact opposite- there is nothing I'd rather do.)
  15. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I chose bass because i dont like to flow with the pack. i bet 30% of all teenage boys player guitar. Now, what percent play bass? Im willing to bet under 5%.

Im really outgoing when it comes to my friend, i have a tendency to lead the pack. Like if we are at the mall, and we are talkin, im usually in the middle of our "circle" , instigating the conversation.

When it comes to playing bass, im a little of both; i wanna be heard, but i dont wanna be a jackass. I like to play an underlying bassline, but i also like the opportunity to shine.
  16. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Same here.
    If I don't know a person I'm kinda shy, but not really. I don't like "public people". I hate the "Wal-mart" type of crowd. But I like when a show is crowded, around my kind of people.

For those who know me, like at work, I'm a nut case. I'm always making people laugh. I love to see people having a good time. I'm always joking around (but I get my work done)

Sometimes I'm an a$$hole, but only if I'm provoked.
  17. it seems like i'm the only one in my band that can think logically, and seems to know what's going on. especially if there is a problem with gear .

as far as personality goes, i've never wanted the "spotlight" especially at some of the dives we play at. i like not having to talk to drunken-toothless-freaks in between sets.
  18. Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    LOL, we are alike my friend. :D
    I'm the quite one I kind of fill the bassplayer type personality.
  19. I sort of agree! Part of the reason I think bass players are so cool is cuz they lay back in the cut and just lay down tight basslines that people don't really pay too much attention to but at the same time any given song will usually completely suck without a nice bassline. I wouldn't wanna be all up in the spotlight at center stage strummin' my gee-tar jumpin' around like a maniac.
  20. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    I'm very social, yet I like being by myself.
    I dont like small talk, and I dont like hearing the same thing being said over and over again.
    I'm somewhat impatient, very factual in what I say, and I dont like being told I am wrong when I know that I am right.
    People tell me I am intimidating.
    Right now I am in a 3 man band, sortof hardcore/punk/metal/thrash/rock, with a couple mellow songs, so I dont just sit back and play the background bass, I step forward and rock and sometimes get carried away and wish I didnt cause I dont want to seem flashy, but oh well. I'm generous to a fault and very open to suggestion. The guitarist in my band makes me very angry.