Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do certain drugs help your playing?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike Money, May 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I do not use drugs, so don't go haywire on me.

Take my friend, we will call him Johnny.

Johnny is a decent guitarist. Johnny smokes Marijuana when his band practices because he claims it helps him.

I think it just makes him think stuff sounds cooler than it really does.

He doesn't smoke anywhere else, just at practice and while recording.
    ----------------------------------------------------

I know many famous musicians are druggies... but I do not think they did it for musical purposes, just stress relief.

What are your thoughts?

2. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    HAHAHAHAHA....yes.

It increases your creativity... IMHO

3. Not to be judgemental or anything, but is any short term "creativity" worth the long term consequences? I tend to think that any sort of chemical impairs your mind to a point where you aren't critical of what you're playing at the moment.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Do certain drugs help your playing?

No.

5. My lead guitarist always says that, and he always gets stoned, and when he does it drives me ****ing nuts.

To the stoned person, the licks that the person is making up sound aweosme, but alot of the times, to the sober person they sound like ****.

And when we break to talk as the band he'll be all zoned out playing something else.

6. no. In my experience, they can make it seem more fun, but not make you play better.

if you're gonna smoke or whatever, do it after the gig. Same with drinking. dont get drunk before you play

7. i do drugs but i dont think they help any maybe to write music but u never know

8. i smoke quite a bit of marijuana myself. it doesn't help your playing at all; technique goes to hell when you're stoned. it makes you more creative and experimentative, musically. that's why it's better to write stuff high, but perform not high.

9. No. If you have to have some substance to do something....then it's not you doing it. That would really piss me off to think that I'd need a substance to do something. Playing music should be inside you most of the time. You shouldn't need to smoke or drink it.

10. Drugs make your performance suck incredibly. Because you think you're doing well, but in fact you're awful.

I've seen a good deal of band that've been hammered or stoned, and I've played with people who get hammered or stoned and they completely sucked.

11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
  12. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    as far as alcohol one drink calms the nerves or whatever ok, but the effects of alcohol are negative on all aspects of playing imo....

And I do smoke marijuana as most do, not that most will admit. I agree with what FLOYDtheBARBER said. I would never drink before any gig but I would smoke.

Never done anything harder than smoke but Clapton and Hendrix Pink Floyd and John Lennon made what some call the best of their work on hard drugs whether it be inhaled swallowed or injected there is no real truth to the fact it helps musical ability.

13. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Word.

14. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I agree with Floyd.

it's fun, but for a few hours, you're stupid, and can't really tell if you are doing anything good musically. But it really doesn't matter, since its fun just jamming with people. Some different species of da cannabis will do different things, one of which is sending you way into the zone, which may or may not be a good thing, but we will never know, since we won't know how we're doing, and nobody else will remember or care.

15. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I dont think using drugs makes you play better or anything like that, I believe that maybe its a possability that it tears down thouse walls and patterns that we subconciously(sp) fall into, opening up a more creative outlet, then again I dont know, I've done drugs, I've drank, and I never felt I played better, sometimes what I recorded sounded more experimental for myself, but it made me sloppy. Thats why I think more of the experiments work by most bands where when they were under the influence of hard drugs like LSD and Heroin. But they also had the years and skill to back up their playing. So I would say no, doing drugs does not make you better.
    peace
    -Ben

16. No. Last New Year's, my friends' band tried to play late in the wee hours of the morn, pretty trashed. Oh sure, it sounded great to the partiers, who were also trashed, but we made a recording of it for the next day. Yikes. Earlier that night the bassist handed me his bass to check out. I tried to play a simple arpeggiated line, but couldn't get two notes in time, so I handed it right back. So clearly alcohol is out.

As for weed, I've never tried to play severely stoned, and probably won't since I've quit. It just seems that you run the risk of playing horribly boring crap....unless you're really into pointless 20-minute noodly guitar solos.

17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Truth isn't as black and white as the "Just Say No" jihad would have us believe. The fact is that there's a long history of great art created under the influence of drugs, by artists who were better on drugs than off.

However it's also true that the vast majority of those who claim their creativity is enhanced by drugs are completely full of crap. It's a really really bad idea to use drugs to try to achieve that end: it's far more likely that you'll achieve your own end than come anywhere close to great art.

18. True, yes.

Still, one should also consider all the cats that took up heroin because they thought it was Charlie Parker's secret to playing the way he did. When in fact his clean years were his most productive creatively.

Many artists have been on drugs and have created wonderful music. But still more have had drugs hinder their musical pursuits. I think artists that use drugs inevitably either destroy themselves to destroy any thread of their creativity by poisoning it with chemicals.

Not to contend with you, just adding my 2 cents.

19. I haven't smoked enough weed (and won't anytime soon, considering my upcoming drug test if I get hired at my preferred job...) to accurately comment on its effects on my musical abilities.

However, I know that alcohol certainly helps my playing SUCK more.

20. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I'd like to say here and now that TalkBass does not condone or glorify the recreational use of any type of controlled or illegal substance.

I'm watching this thread like a hawk. It may disappear anytime without explanation, so tread lightly, folks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.