1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do certain strings bow better then other?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by WavBass, May 1, 2009.

1. WavBass

WavBass

May 1, 2009
    Hi,

I just got a NS Wav bass and really enjoy it.

It has a steel oem string for the E and synthetic strings for the A D and G.

I started playing with a bow and I wonder if some strings are better for bowing and some for fingers?

I primarily play with my fingers but would like to bow.

Thanks in advance

Will

2. You could class bass strings in three general categories:
    • orchestrals
    • hybrids
    • pizzicato
    Some strings are designed mainly for orchestral purposes; they have a darker tone because they have some dampening material inside, and have less sustain.
    (e.g. Pirastro Flexocors)

Some strings are designed mainly for pizzicato playing: they have a clearer tone and more sustain.
    (e.g. Thomatik Spirocores)

Some strings are designed to do both jobs, but they compromise something to achieve that.

If you are happy with your strings, just forget them and play.
    Avoid the trap the rest of us have fallen into...
    :)

3. emilio g

emilio g

Jul 16, 2008
    Jersey City, NJ
    This is a topic that has been debated like crazy. Just seach any major type of string and lots of threads will pop up.

Personally, I would just use spirocore mittels or weichs until you can bow them consistently. Then, maybe try playing around with strings a little. Lots of people say spirocores aren't bowable but this simply not true. Yes, they're bright, take about a month to break in, and not forgiving of bad technique, but they're definitely bowable.

I personally use a Spiro E and A with Superflexible D and G and am happy with that for arco and pizz playing.

4. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    At the moment on my NS I have spiro solos on E A D G and spiro medium High C.

Bows wonderfully

Another thing I dont see mentioned too much. You will need a fine quality bow to get the most out of spiros.

Scratchy bows are amplified through spiros, which I think is where a lot of the spiro bowing stigma comes from.

5. WavBass

WavBass

May 1, 2009
    Hi,

Thanks for the responses. I will give the strings I have now a go for a while then see what happens.
    I did get the cheapy bow so maybe upgrade that as well.

Thanks again

Will