1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

do chromes have less tension then fender flats?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by precision punk, Apr 10, 2009.

1. precision punk

precision punk

Mar 15, 2009
    im using fender ML flats and they sound good but the tension is killing me ... i was wondering if a lighter gauge set of chromes would lower the tension a bit?

2. tapp01

tapp01

Apr 10, 2008
    Wilmington, NC
    Yes.

3. In my experiance, Fenders have the highest tension of any flat I've used thus far. Not caring for yanking strings just to play them, I switched to a set of Chromes that were the same gauge, and the difference was quite noticable.

4. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I think they are lower tension than Fenders.

5. p-bass

p-bass Guest

Feb 17, 2008
    I have used both and agree with everybody that the Chromes have less tension then the Fenders. I really like the feel of the 45-100 set of the D'addario Chromes. I have found Chromes to be the best all around flatwound string..IMO. Steve

6. Cutty

Cutty

Jun 25, 2006
    U.K.
    If your worried about the tension get some TI flats,they are fantastic flat's,and last for ever!!!i would never use anything else on my Fender USA 5 string.

7. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I agree 100%. Fenders are brutal to the fingers and neck IMO. Chromes are the best go to flat with good mids. TIs are good but not for everybody they are expensive and loose more like rounds with a sound of their own.

8. precision punk

precision punk

Mar 15, 2009
    thanks alot guys i appreciate the feedback i will try the 40-100 chromes ... :D

9. precision punk

precision punk

Mar 15, 2009
    i forgot to mention also i play with a pick in sum songs ...i pick below the frets and a little above the pickup so hopefully picking that e string will be a little easier

10. TIs are wonderful strings but for some folk they give tension problems in the opposite direction; too low.

11. precision punk

precision punk

Mar 15, 2009
    are the TIs comfortable to pick aggressively? not over aggressive but pretty hard ?

12. I've just gotten back to picking for one song we've added, so I'm not the best reference.

But my limited experience is that, due to their very low tension, fast picking away from the bridge on TIJFs sucks pig waste through a narrow straw.

YMMV ;)

My feeling is that Chromes will do you fine.