Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do clowns and mimes get on your nerves?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Airsick Pilot, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    56.3%
  2. Only Clowns

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. Only Mimes

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. No, I love them.

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  1. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Just a random thought. Clowns have a tendency of pissing me off but I can't put a finger to it.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I think mimes are brilliant.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I was watching a show on comedy central a few nights ago about some crazy cops called Reno 911. They beat the piss out of a mime. I have to admit, some sick part of my brain found it hilarious.

4. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I love mimes but there's something about clowns that irk the hell out of me.

5. I hate when all those stupid mall rats go "err,clowns scare me"

But I seriously don't like them or mimes...

6. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    I second that, UNLESS they are presented in a dingy art house full of stuck up teenagers.

7. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Clowns are cool!!
    The clown on Stephen King's "IT" was awsome!
    Tim Curry played a great part.

Mimes need beatings....Ooooo I'm stuck in a box!
    (I think mimes had imaginary friends as kids!)

8. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yeah, I hate it when people say clowns scare them when they don't. I'm not sure how this makes them seem cool that clowns scare them. We have a clown as our logo right now and all kind of people come up and say clowns scare them, I find it hard to believe that so many people are so scared of clowns.

9. i've always loved clowns, and i always liked marcel marceau, and mimes in general. probably the dancer in me. plus, i always wanted to join the circus.

i think what's fascinating about clowns is that they convey the other extreme in comedy -- which is sadness. much humour has its roots in extremely sad events. as steve martin used to say, "comedy is not pretty." or woody allen's famous movie quote [well, alan alda's]: comedy equals tragedy plus time."

i particularly like krusty the clown

:D

meeks

10. I love when mimes get stuck in a box and can't find out, so I love em :D As for clowns...well, their clowns!

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Only clowns.

12. Both kinda...

13. clowns scare me

:D

but seriously, i hate clowns; mimes dont really bother me that much.

14. mimes kick ass.

clowns are unfunny and often don't look good at all....kinda like KISS :D

15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Clowns are cool.

Mimes are meh.

16. They're both evil.

17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
  18. Its name escapes me at the moment, but isn't there an organization devoted to ridding the world of land mimes? :rolleyes:

:p

Mike :D

19. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Clowns give me the hibby Geebies... I don't like them at all... Mimes are ok... but clowns... Ehhh

20. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I only know of the website, www.ihatemimes.com

There's also one for clowns, www.ihateclowns.com

This is taken from one of those websites.

---------------------------------------------

The Truth About Mimes and Clowns Coincidence or Kissing Cousins?

The difference between Clowns and Mimes is also striking, in that each seem to have an archetype that they imitate to the letter; Clowns being at least to some extent obese, while mimes are universally rail-thin, anorexic. The reason for this remains unclear thus far, to the League, but it has been posed by some of our members that mimes are vegetarians and Clowns are almost pure carnivores.

A strange symbiotic relationship exists between what in the animal world would equal a predator-prey situation. The rotundity of the Clown is also thought to be at least a partial defense against the weather, storing up to fifteen pounds of food and three liters of water in his specialized stomach, allowing him to go for weeks without external sustenance and stalk his prey patiently.

Mimes on the other hand, seem to require water all the time, usually bottled French water, and also are hypothesized to have a rare type of exzema or other skin condition, accounting for the rarity of hairy Mimes. The most common areas for a Clown to frequent, identified by his candy-like spoor, are habitats in suburban areas with lots of children. Circuses and fairs and charity events are also regular hang-outs and covers for these creatures, but they are more likely to have more opportunity to spread their evil in a more private environment, say a neighborhood street.

We here at the League are doing everything in our power to learn more about Clowns and Mimes and pass along the information to you, the public, as soon as we get it, so keep the faith and never give up hope that we can, someday, live in a Clown-Free World!