1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do D'Addario Chromes lose thier stickyness?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MonsterBass101, Nov 1, 2010.

1. MonsterBass101

MonsterBass101

Mar 3, 2008
    SC
    I am trying these flats for the first time, and I love the growly lows and singing highs, but I find them sticky compared to my month old rounds. Is this flats in general? Does the stickyness wear off? Any Recommendations for flats that have the tone of chromes but are less sticky?

2. Reaper Man

Reaper Man

Jan 15, 2010
    MA
    yea, it "wears off"

Just keep playing.

I consider it a part of breaking in the strings and that's when I know I've done it

3. MonsterBass101

MonsterBass101

Mar 3, 2008
    SC
    Sweetness. Like I said I love the tone. I sweat acid basically so Hopefully it will happen soon.

4. I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that! I just put my 1st set on about 2 months ago, and it's weird...totally hit or miss; sometimes they'll feel sticky and they're really fatiguing to play (almost like they've been coated with gymnast chalk), and other days they'll feel fast and smooth like someone snuck in an coated them with baby powder while I was sleeping.

5. They wear in after a while. I have a well-worn set on my viola bass right now, and I actually find the slickness distracting (I'm a long-term roundwound player).

If you find them too sticky during the initial wear-in period, a squirt of Finger Ease will make 'em feel smooth as a baby's bum.

6. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Too late now, but the next time you put on a set of chromes rub an alcohol soaked paper towel up and down each string a few times first.

7. MonsterBass101

MonsterBass101

Mar 3, 2008
    SC
    Ok thanks for the tips guys. I played rounds for a while and I knew it would be a change, but Not this much in the feel. Are Half-Rounds as sticky as these flatwounds are?

8. GregDunn

GregDunn

Jan 8, 2009
    Huh. I have 2 sets currently installed (1 short scale, 1 long) and both sets were smooth, almost slick from the start. Both were factory sealed, FWIW.

9. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    or do as I do, I lubricate them with Dr Ducks ax wax. Just make sure you use a little.

10. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Bourbon or gin?

11. morebass!

morebass! I'm all ears Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Don't waste the good stuff. WD40 works great and gives a rosewood board a nice glow too.

12. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I have been playing chromes for quite a few years on all my P basses. They will get very slick and stick free quicky but if you have moisture on your hands ,sweating etc they will get sticky quick.

I use a squirt of finger -ez on mine and in the summer at outdoor shows its a must due to the humity and sweating.

13. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Doesn't matter. Just make sure it's filtered through your kidneys first! ;)

When I had Chromes on my P, I wiped them with a cotton ball w/alcohol. Also made sure my hands were freshly cleaned before playing, as ANY trace of a substance would make things sticky.

14. My Chromes are a coupla years old and are slick. But I have insanely dry hands (like so dry my fingertips often split open in winter if I don't use lotion...)

For me, Half-Rounds are like playing a cat's tongue.

15. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    :D

16. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    D'Addario half rounds are at least two degrees of magnitude stickier than any flatwound. At least. Worst feeling string in the history of mankind.

17. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    The same goes for other half-rounds brands. To me, half-rounds are the worst of both worlds: they feel terrible and sound like completely dead rounds. I used 5 different types of half-rounds when I was looking for THE string in 2005. What a waste of $$$.

18. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Yeah, I let a guitar tech friend talk me into a set of half rounds after he said allot of his customers prefer them over flats etc. I told him I tried them a few years ago and I would quit bass playing forever if those were the only strings I could ever use again. He said they were improved and nice...I bit :rolleyes: They lasted one gig and I took them off..forever! :spit:

19. Does the alcohol remove some kind of protective coating on the strings? I put a set of Chromes on my P last night for the first time and they felt sticky too but aftre playig foir about 3 hours today, they are getting smoother. I had a hard time playing them at first though.

20. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    Some flats seem to come with some sort of manufacturing residue (I've noticed this with TI Jazz flats and D'A Chromes, but not so much with La Bella DTB flats) that you don't find on rounds. A quick run through a cotton ball or cloth not soaked but moistened with rubbing alcohol (91% preferable over 70%) will do the trick.