Do DB strings ever break?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by SottoVoce, Jan 14, 2001.

1. SottoVoce

Sep 16, 2000
    . . . This is probably a stupid question but I'm just curious. I'm looking at all the rosin stuck on my school's bass strings and all the dents in the strings and I wonder.
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Yes. I saw a friend of mine break one on the first set of a gig last year. He didn't have a spare, so he played the next three hours on a 3 string bass. He was P@$$ED!!!
  3. SWEETSOUND: Yes They Do Break. Happened to me a coupla times during the gig. The other time I was lucky to have a spare set in my gig bag, the other time it was E string & I had to play limb lines with three strings the rest of the night. Usually DB strings don´t snap as easily as BG strings, but when they do, it can be dangerous due to the tension, and can cause the top to split too....
    There are ( naturally ) different kinds of strings, for example gut strings are teend to break more easily. A month ago I was in the audience in jam session. The bass player ( who BTW comes from Florida, USA ), had gut strings, and in the second song of the first set he broke the A.
    Man, was HE p****d off, ´cause he´d brought those strings from the States!!
    So, we got to his car ( after 3 beers I was not able to drive ), drove quickly to my home, got a spare A ( Spirocore ), drove back, changed the string and he finished the first set...missed only for tunes in between. In the second set I jammed with the band with his bass, and playing with 3 guts and a Spirocore A mixed in between them was VERY strange.
  4. SottoVoce

Sep 16, 2000
    So how long do the strings last, normally?
  5. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Normally DB strings do not break (except gut) and you change them when A) you're tired of your old strings (YMMV), and B) you got dow for that.
  6. Gut strings tend to get frayed and need to be changed. Some times a mouse will try to eat a gut string. I have one bass where the wood part of the peg was chewed to get to the string. I sure that the mouse sustained massive injurys when the string broke.