do different necks make different sounds?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thebassics123, Sep 4, 2010.

1. thebassics123

thebassics123

Aug 7, 2010
    is there a difference in the sounds of a maple neck and a rosewood neck?

2. colcifer

colcifer Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Oh boy.

3. Jeroen91

Jeroen91

Mar 1, 2010
    And which neck is better for metal ? :D

:bag:

4. Nightlyraider

Nightlyraider

Sep 30, 2009
    Minneapolis
    In the general sense, everything you change affects the resonance abilities of your instrument.

I'm not sure you mean neck so much as fretboard in this particular case though?

5. I'm kind of a Redneck and I make burping sounds. :hyper:

6. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    Is that limited to, but not excluding farts?? :smug:

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    but seriously, there are way more pressing issues than fingerboard wood. some folks say maple sounds brighter than rosewood. it certainly LOOKS brighter, but i can find no evidence that it makes even a tiny bit of difference with the tone. and even if it did, a turn of a treble knob one way or the other could completely nullify it. so who cares? get what you think looks cool.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    sorry...was i not supposed to answer seriously? ok, here's my goof post:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    Some say it does. Some say it doesn't. Do you perceive a difference? And, I think you're talking about fretboard wood here, not necks.

10. it sure does

11. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    IME, yes different necks sound different. I know this because I've changed lots of necks and listen really good.

However, you're going to have to have a congressional commitee appoint a blue ribbon panel of the world's megageeks to convene a convention to produce a peer reviewed paper to prove whatever it is you may say on TB.

:ninja:

12. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    A maple neck with rosewood fretboard and rosewood neck with rosewood fretboard, The all rosewood neck would be little bit darker and woodier tone then the maple neck with rosewood fretboard. Though I'm not sure is rosewood is that good a choice strength wise for neck itself. Ovangkol might be better choice as alternate to maple for woodier sound and little less treble.

For fretboard I think maple sounds less organic somehow then rosewood. Little darker tone to rosewood as well. But for just fretboard itself, theres not as much diff when compared to the neck itself or whole neck.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021