1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do do you find finds?/How did you find your band?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by CaM90, Aug 10, 2005.

1. CaM90

CaM90

Dec 14, 2004
    Do do you find bands?

How did you find your band?

I can't seem to find musicians to start a band with. All the guitarists that I have played with are not talented, have bad technique (using only downstrokes, using only 2 or 3 fingers on fretting hand, etc.), know no theory, only know how to play power chords, can't solo, etc.

2. I can't get past that. :D :hyper:

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Maybe that's part of the problem..? :meh:

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Where have you looked?

Wulf

5. Seigi

Seigi

Jul 3, 2005
    You don't necessarily have to have a guitarist in your band. There's a really great band whose name escapes me at the moment that has no guitar player; they have a synth player instead.

6. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    old guitar player was a friend. he told me to bone up because they may need a bass player. so i did, and it was ****ty in the way they kicked out the other guys but whichever.

i stepped up as a "hired gun", and shortly afterwards they added me as a permanent member.

7. Local music store bulletin board. Rehearsal space bulletin board. Really strange local newspaper classified section.

Sometimes networking... you just meet people.

8. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC Gold Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    +1

Add to that, local open jams @ clubs and www.bandmix.com

9. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I was blessed that my lifelong friend started learning guitar at almost the same time I started learning bass. Our drummer well, he plays in one of our concert bands at school during a concert we got talking, realised our musical tastes were kinda similar, went and found a kit, jammed and he was in. Vocalists are always a problem though, the majority are rubbish.

10. I previously played with a band 3 years ago, and i knew the durmmer for a long time, although we never really hung out a lot. I was walking uptown one day and this kid i've met, but didn't know too well knew i played bass. He invited me to play with the drummer and a piano player. It all started there.

a year later things are going well, but the guitar player (person who invited me) wanmts to head towards chordal rock based off progressions - problem is that needs a singer and there aren't any singers i know really. The pianist who joined 4 months ago and I want to head in a funky chordal but riffbased jazz type groove band

11. CaM90

CaM90

Dec 14, 2004
    I was an idiot when I posted this, I never even proof read it. :smug: I was wondering how you find bands to join/jam with? Hwo did you find your current band?

12. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Musicians aren't terribly systematic or organized as a rule. So, mainly, you will make the best progress by going out to clubs and open mic sessions and talking to them. The classified in whatever kind of alternative/arts paper you've got locally is also possible; and some of those are on line. However, most of the really good players don't use them.

I relocated about a year ago, and its been a nightmare. It takes a long time to get a network going. With no one helping you, count on a couple of years anyway. Patience.

13. jammoore

jammoore

Mar 28, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Make friends with the local music store guys. They "know" people. When I uprooted and moved, I hung out at a local shop so much on Saturdays that I ended up working there during the Christmas rush and what I like to call "hung over Saturday"

<hey, i'm still drunk, can you work for me?>

Open Mic nights are pretty good way of networking. And one last one, find the big bad band in town, go to their show, hang out, they know everyone too.

14. My band found me.

15. got into a band, got kicked out cuz in short I was a cocky @$$hole, then started a band featuring just myself and a drummer (as some sort of resilience). since then i have become a much better bassist and we've built up to having a vocalist, and soon a second bassist. tried out guitarists, and had the same problem as you. it's almost like guitarists think they're superhuman cuz they managed to follow a few blink 182 albums (no offense to fans) and then give up on learning

16. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I tried to start a band in college and the standard of people who showed up really was terrible. However the guy that was going to sing new a guitarist. So the three of us jammed plus another guy who played guitar. Then all that imploded and just didn't work out. However the guitarist friend of the singer was starting up a new band himself and asked me to play bass for them and I've been playing with those guys since.

In fact he only came to the college to see if there was a bass player worth steeling. Unfotunatley we can't seem to find a drummer goood enough or one thats willing to stick around. We've tried out/ played with seven drummers thus far and thats only over a 5 to 6 month period :rolleyes: and we're gonna be moving up to 8 next weekend...hopefully, cause if we dont we wont playing at all over the weekeend.

Anyways it can sometimes come down to luck depending on who you meet and who you know. Networking seems to be the best way to get people for a band.

17. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    I can testify to bandmix.com, I was able to find a band about a 30 minute drive in traffic from my house, they're sponsored by a local music store, so I say go with bandmix.

18. The way I did it when I was first starting out was basically to play with everybody. I'd lug my bass on the bus and play at open nights and jam, making sure to give each musician space. Finally got a call from a band to play with them and they were a gigging band already before I joined.

Eventually I made a bit of a name for myself with this band and when it eventually folded, the phone rang and another band called. I was younger at the time and whenever someone asked me to play I'd say yes and give it a go. Sure, I've played with some bad musicians but I'd say that from ten calls i'd get half would be beginners which I'd amicably turn down, a few more would be ok and some would be really good.

It got to a point where I could no longer keep up playing with 4 bands or so at the same time (I was basically living in rehearsal spaces) but by then I had the luxury of choosing who I wanted to be playing with.

My advice therefore is to play with anyone and to try and get exposure as a bass player. Being a reasonably good musician helps a lot of course :hyper:

19. I've always used the mass-ad (web ad's these day's, music store billboard ad's before) approach, answering lots of "bassist wanted" ads that look anything like what I'm looking for in a band.
    In a couple of days I can compare all the responses and pick the band with the best music style, location, "vibe" and go audition.
    Just did this last week and after a good audition now have also a seventies rock band a 10 min drive from home.. :hyper: