Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

do double bassists hate normal bassists

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by paz, Jul 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    just wandering if you guys hate normal bassists?

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I do both, and I don't hate me. My neighbors do, though! :D

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Double bassists ARE normal bassists.

Our instrument came first :)

4. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    a ha, but NORMAL bass players are better.

Bows are gay

5. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Mr. Turner, where art thou??????????

6. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    tick...tick...tick....

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    SPAZ- apropos of nothing I was thinking about a young child who had his arm ripped off by a polar bear in the Central Park Zoo a few years back. Apparently he thought it would be great fun to stick his arms in the cage in an attempt to attract the bears attention. I really don't know why I thought of that.

A bow is an inanimate object incapable of having a sexual relationship with anything, therefore it can't have a sexual orientation. I know that your cartoons have led you to believe that inanimate objects are alive and can talk and have exciting adventures (which is probably what leads you to name your strap, picks, cords etc.), unfortunately that's not the way it is.

Please don't feel that normal bassists hate electric players. After all, most of us that are pros, double. The ones (like me) who don't have just made a decision based on the sound that they hear in their head, for me that's an upright. Heck I don't hate my 2 year old nephew, I just find him annoying when all he does is cry and whine....

8. rablack

rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    Oh the stinging wit of a clever riposte. Your words wound me to my very core.

If I too were a 16-year old English metalhead I might well frame an inane inquiry such as yours. But you might as well ask "do bass clarinetists hate contrabassonists?" or maybe "do sheep hate pigs?" Your canoe paddle instruments and our double basses are completely different animals.
    Hate?...no.... mildly irritated at smug toybassists with their lame attempts to stir up the flames, yes.

9. This lack of open mind may make a DB player dislike a BG player, but not all BG players. Just the ones with closed minds. P.S. bows are not gay, your web page now that is not only gay but it blows.
    http://www.geocities.com/breed_paul/

Nice little fantasy land you live in maybe you can have your mom wake you up.

10. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nah, it's just pathetic, and a little sad.

And I am always a bit amused at bands which use "tour dates" to describe shows that--if they exist at all--are frequently in venues spaced so far apart that one would have to walk for perhaps two hours to get to all of them.

But that's just my view.

-dh

11. This one's too easy; I'll pass.

12. :)

[​IMG]

13. rablack

rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    Well done XavierG :D
    Come to think of it a P-bass would also make a good rudder for your "bass boat"

14. That bass boat does looks pretty. A P-bass rudder,eh... hmmmm... I think I'll make this a summer project and build one.

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hee hee :D

i just checked out his web page. anyone know what "matital status" means? is it catching?

and besides, isn't paz the name of the girl who plays bass for a perfect circle? isn't this poster a guy? i think i'll start a new nick named "sally" - after all, "bows are gay" :rolleyes:

should i delete or should i allow some wholesale spankage on this bent and willing target?

anyone?

16. aww you can let it sit, it is to early.
    I feel the term "Sally" is Passé, I use the term Sondra.

:D

17. I vote for the latter!

18. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Man I wish I was mod at this forum. I think I'd personally have to slam you for your derogatory comment. Whether it's conduct befitting my "moniker" or not, Paz, please retreat off into the woods somewhere and grow a clue. Your "bows are gay" comment is the single most ridiculous, childish, ignorant, and stupid reference I've heard for a couple of days now. I see Eminem's vernacular is coming close to being widely accepted amongst youth. Ed was far more clever than I am, I'm just going to sit here and tell you to grow and clue. And if you come back here and tell me it was "just a joke," than I am so incredibly and truly sad for you.

For all of you DBers out there, I am once again forced to apologize for the pathetic and useless example of a BGer that has been thrust upon you. It seems we let one of them get out of the padded room by accident.

19. Our faithful JT stands by, left hand poised on the flush lever, toilet plunger in his right, DB'ers shouting en masse, "Not so fast, John," and JT saying "It's a mercy flush, guys."

20. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I don't think the little turd has the guts to jump back in here, anyway.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.