do effect pedals with amp sims/modellers make your actual speaker amp sound bad?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bushy, May 25, 2018.

1. bushy

bushy

Mar 8, 2018
    If one is to use the amp sim/modeller from an effect pedal (ex: Zoom B1XON) while using a bass amp/cab (EX: Peavey Minimax with Gallien-Krueger Neo 212), would that make the outcome sound muddy then? So what's the point of an amp sim/modeller? Is it more for recording and or for full range/flat response type of speaker amps?

2. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    For recording and going direct/FOH without amp and cab.

3. RobTheRiot

RobTheRiot

Aug 31, 2016
    las Vegas, nv
    I’ve experimented, and generally haven’t been happy running a sim directly into my amp.
    I have been happy running it into the efx return on my amp, bypassing the pre-amp and just hitting the power amp w/ the amp sim.
    Then you have full control of sound w/ sim without having to try to balance two preamp sections, or w/o having to get just a dedicated power amp.
    (Edited last sentence for clarity.)

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  4. Beheroth

Beheroth

Aug 26, 2016
    cab IRs are what make the sound muddy when running a modeler into a amp+cab, not amp/preamp sim.
    you can stack amp/preamp without problem (except od/distortion but is it really a problem ...?) but never use an IR with a real cab

5. They can make things sound worse or better depends on how they are adjusted.

jonlimo and soulman969 like this.
  6. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    This has been my experience with a Zoom B3. It depends on the amp being modeled and it's cab but IME I'd say less is more when using a cab sim along with the amp model when playing through a typical bass rig. It also help to adjust the amp EQ so the response is flat or as flat as possible. I haven't found it to be muddy as much as just not all that good in some cases.

If the amp has a post EQ effects loop I'd use that and expect better results by avoiding the amps preamp section completely.

7. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I simply use my ZOOM B3 for the effects alone and run it in the effects loop. I have used it as a pre-amp and run it straight into the effects return with satisfactory results. My new Fender Rumble Studio 40 is far superior to the ZOOM's amp models; cabinet simulations, and effects. The ZOOM B3 is now up for sale.

8. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Amp sims/modellers vary in price and Quality.

9. bushy

bushy

Mar 8, 2018
    So turning the amp sim/modeller makes it just an effect pedal, right? Does that sound good then?

10. bushy

bushy

Mar 8, 2018
    I'm not sure if the same is also true for guitar pedals with amp sim/modellers? Would it also sound muddy if used with a guitar amp (combo, amp/cab, etc.)?

11. bushy

bushy

Mar 8, 2018
    What's an IR?

12. DAB

DAB

Mar 28, 2016
    IR = Impulse Response which is a method to meassure and emulate speaker response. In a normal bass rig, the signal path is preamp->poweramp->speaker. A sane way to use your gear would be modeller with speaker sim/IR turned off->poweramp of your bass amp (effects return)->speaker. Connecting two preamps or two speakers in row would lead to somewhat strange and complicated response/tone.

bushy likes this.
  13. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    My question is why would you use an amp sim while using an amp?

You wouldn’t soak your signal in reverb, in a hall with a natural ambiance and expect it to sound good...

bushy and ThrewSilver like this.