Do(es) your bass(es) have a personality?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RAM, Apr 10, 2003.

1. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    In my Marketing class, we're discussing the concept of "brand personality"; which is the identity people often associate with certain brands. For example, when people think of Gap clothing, it's often thought of as casual, relaxed, after work, young, etc.

That got me basses have similar personalities?

I'll start: I've currently got 2 basses: a MIM Jazz, a USA Spector NS-4, and a Jerzy Drozd Mastery VI on the way, which I can't yet describe.

I'd describe the MIM Jazz as a general, basic, little bro' of the Spector. The Spector is like the big brother, sophisticated, yet raw. It can do a lot, but definitely knows how to occupy musical space. The Jazz, being the younger brother, sometimes gets lost, and needs a little help to cut through. The Jazz is definitely a rock bass, where the Spector can run the entire gammut.

How about yours? Do they have personalities? If they were people, how would you describe them?
  2. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...

yes.. basses have personalitys..

Mines a Yamaha Rbx 270.
    I look at it as a Raw, rock bass, not really jazz in the sound though. Something thats dark, kinda pointy, but not as extreme as a BC RICH as far as looks go.(thank god)

Kinda reminds me of TOOL as in..
    a Bc rich reminds me of say Cradle of Filth.

I think I like tool a bit better!
  3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Roscoe LG 3000
    This one's kind of like the guy everyone hated in high school. You know the kind...good looking, captain of all the sports teams, valedictorian, great with all the ladies, friends with everyone, etc. The Roscoe is the ultimate cool guy.
    Am. Std. Jazz
    This is the really good friend that you know you can turn to for anything. Always there to cheer you up, and knows just what you want to hear.
    Hagstrom 8string
    This one is pretty much your standard hippie. Old, a little rough around the edges, and wierd, but always makes you think old-school thoughts like the Vietnam protests, Hendrix, Woodstock, etc.
    He's the bully. Not the smartest or most refined of the bunch, but if you tell him that, he'll kick you in the face and laugh about it.
    FBB fretless
    Smooth, sexy, elegant. The lovely lone lady of the crowd.
    Yamaha BB300
    The shy one that is a little different (stickered), but deep inside, is a true rock star. This one hides in the corner, not coming out very often, but when he does he'll rock everyone's socks off.
  4. My beautiful `98 Fender MIA P bass(Monique) has a very patient and forgiving personality.She puts up with my ham handed attempts at playing her and still sounds great!I can`t help but thinking her thought bubble would read:"Either learn to play me better or give/sell me to a bassist who can realize my full potential."

My Ibanez EDC700: "Put some damn new strings on me and pick me up once in awhile you bloody wanker!".

5. I have a modulus quantum 5. It likes to have fun. Hates the main lines and wants to bust out into a funk bass line. Sometimes it just wants to sound pretty, but it knows it is just meant to rip it up. It likes to turn heads. It likes to make people's ears hurt and to make buildings shake. It hates picks. Reliable.
  6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    My bass is like a 12 year old girl trying to find herself.

It's tone is always altering for no real reason... damned thing.
  7. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA

And by the by, my bass is an inanimate object with no personality. It's simply an instrument that I attempt to communicate, musically, with.
  8. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    My bass is an SWF that likes long walks on the beach, movies, and sharing italian dinners by candlelight. :p
  9. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    If anything, the bass is usually a reflection of the OWNERS personality. Actually everything I own is a reflection of my personality.
  10. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah!!! That's the stuff I'm lookin' for!!!:D
  11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

But I won't know for sure until I get a second bass, and play some rehearsals and gigs with it. To compare. But it does have its own tone.

12. My Tanglewood is dirty, cheap and unrefined. However, it's got awesome pickups and great strings, and is light. It eats nails for breakfast and ****s nickels.

My Spector is a lot more professional. It knows it's well made and has great tone and feel, but it is also able to rock, first and foremost.

If they were bands, my Tanglewood would be Raging Speedhorn and my REX would be Meshuggah.
  13. Sort of.. You see.. My blue Ibanez SR400 4 string is a male unicorn.
    My transparent black Ibanez BTB405 is a female dragon.

:cool: <-(nuts)
  14. same with my new 4-string it's high pitched but always alittle diferent than last time I played with her
    my fretted 5-string is like a true friend, or great girlfriend always there for you and just feels right to be with no matter how your feeling.
    my old 4-string like a stuborn old friend (I don't haveany really but you will get the idea) doesn't really change their tone for about anyone for any reason, but just got a familiar feel that you enjoy
    and my fretless 5-string: a beutiful lady that can sing, just goergeous with a great voice that has a tone to it that you just love
  15. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Ka-ching! That's kinda how I viewed the original question. Is their personality or character to the different tones of our different basses. The 4 basses I have do have completely different tones / characters. Which one I play is as much driven by my figuring out which tone works best with a song and what mood I'm in.

Alembic 5 string: Super cool smooth jazz type of character. Has a really full sound, almost like it's being run 24/7 through a chorus effect. If it were a singer, it would be Barry White. It tells on you big time if you make a mistake. If I'm playing Fred Hammond or Earth Wind & Fire type stuff, this is the bass.

Alembic 4 string: Very bright sounding bass. Piano type tone, not as heavy a tone (or bass) as the 5 string. Every note is crisp and as clear as a bell. If it were a singer it would be Phil Collins.

Hanewinckel 6 string: Funky as all get out. This one or the Alembic 4 are the ones I whip out when I want to do my Louis Johnson imitation. The 3 Band Bartolini circuit makes it pretty versatile as far as tone is concerned. If it were a singer it would be James Ingram or Toni Braxton.

Lakland Skyline 55-02 Fretless: I'm just getting used to all the mwah. Haven't gigged with it yet, but I have a feeling I'll use it on a lot of older, slower, bluesy type gospel songs. I've used it on Kirk Franklin's "My Heart Is In Your Hands" in Praise Band and I really like the character it brings to that bassline. It also sounds good on Fred Hammond's "Lift Up Your Hands" and "Glory to Glory to Glory". I'm gonna try it on George Michael's "One More Try" and "Kissing A Fool". Those are two songs that always make me think of someone singing in a dark smoky gin joint. If it were a singer, it would be Billie Holliday.

16. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    This sounds strange, in a kind of pedophilic sort of way. :p ;)
  17. Squier fretless: Been through alot, can offer anybass in my collection advice. One you can turn to, to play the songs you first learned as a begginer, and new ones that need that fretless sound

MIM 4 string Jazz (Tony The Tiger): Ol' Reliable, The one you can come to with anything, and he'll be there for you. Even if he doesn't want to, he'll do it with a smile

MIM Jazz V: The new room-mate. Still learning from the latter 2. But, been through a rough time at the store... He also has alot to share

I love them all!
  18. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    My '75 Reissue (Momma), has a big mouth, now that she has a J Retro. If you hit a clam, she'll rat you out! Other than that, you can look at her and hear a Doug Wimbish or Larry Graham slapped bassline. Every bassist that picks her up, immediately unholster their thumb!
  19. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    my bass seems like some dude that looks like he's seen a lot of action.....he lurks in a corner and stares at you quietly....then comes out and bitchslaps you for no reason....then calms down and becomes your friend.....then goes back into the corner and falls asleep....

yep, that perdy much sums it up.
  20. that sounds like me only (,though I don't like to admit it,) I haven't seen alot of action, but I do like to lurk in corners and bitchslap people for no reason, and work kung fu and staying up late playing either bass or video games does cause me to often fall asleep in the corners in which I usually stay