do every music man encounter neck warping??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by panazza, Jan 17, 2004.

1. panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    I read an interwiew of flea being desperate about neck warping on his music man... he wes talking like every music man encounters such problems...
    is it true??? a friend of mine is going to buy a music man and he asked me to post this thread for him...
  2. Every bass has the potential for warping...but i never heard of or seen any cases that made a Singray/Sterling being more susceptable to warping then any other bass.
    I wouldnt worry too much about it unless you are constantly bring the bass in extreme conditions.
    IE: Really humid to cold...or cool too hot etc...
  3. The newer music mans have unfinished necks so they are slightly more suseptable to humidity changes and such. But preventing warping is all a matter of taking care of your bass and making sure you keep the number of drastic changes in humidity to a minimum.
  4. appler

appler Guest

Being with a band like the Chili Peppers, Flea plays a lot of shows in very different places in a short span of time. The constant drastic climate/humidity changes are what warps the necks. And remember dude, the StingRay was a Leo Fender creation. You don't get the real Leo Fender experience until you run across a warped neck. :D Just kidding. That was an exaggeration, in case you're worried.
  5. Yeah he is pretty hard on his basses. I have heard he's used stingray (neck problems), Wal (looked geeky), alembic (looked geeky), spector (I didn't know that until the post in question, preamp problems), untill he went with modulus. I'm probably leaving some out. The average player though, shouldn't have much of a problem.
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I believe it was the older Stingrays that had these problems, the figured maple necks were succeptible to warpage. I believe Ernie Ball realized this and switched to a quartersawn maple for the neck to avoid these problems. Mine has taken the much abuse and hasn't shifted in 13 months, one setup, simply because I switched string gauges. No warpage at all due to climate (where Jersey weather raises to a humid 105 in the summer, drops to a dry -5 in the winter -- neck has yet to shift) ... the bass has been gigged in four states: PA, NY, CT and NJ with no problem.
  7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My main Ray is about 15 years old, no warpage FWIW . . . .
  8. panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    thanks guys,
    I'll tell my friend "don't worry buy the music man"
  9. Is it just me, or does anybody else think that neck warpage is a non-problem - nothing that a turn of the truss rod won't fix?

(Of course, eventually you can "bottom out" on a truss rod where you can't turn it any more, but that's over a long period of time, and MM necks are replaceable.)