do-everything 4-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mandude, Aug 3, 2000.

1. Mandude

Apr 19, 2000
    It has come time for me to purchase a new bass. I seem to wind up in situations where
    I have to play anything and everything, so my question is: Does anyone have any suggestions for a bass that can handle almost any style? Around $1500, a little more if it really fits the bill. I've had success with my MIJ jazz but I'm looking to
    move up a notch.
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    So what you're saying is you don't want another Fender?

In cast you do, Go for an American Deluxe P or J or a Stingray . You'll get a great bass and will still have some money left in the bank.

Oh, and yes, there's also the G & L L2000.

Will C. [​IMG]

I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Everybody has their own opinion of course, but I think that you should check out a Pedulla Rapture J2.

It has the classic Jazz tones that you have grown accustomed to, plus, with Bartolini pickups and preamp, a wide range of modern hi-fi tones as well.

The fit & finish is far above even the finest Fenders, and the bass is very light but has a bigger booty than any P or J I've ever played.

I own the 5 string flavor of this baby, and I've played several 4s as well. You should be able to get a new 4 for 1000-1200 depending on your local dealer(GC does carry them) and your bargaining skills. My 5 lists for $1995.00 and I got it for $1169.00

Play a lot of basses before you decide, but definitely check this one out.

I've played basses that list for 2.5 times as much and have yet to find one that I like better, the only one that came close(for me of course) was a Lakland that listed for $3300.00

check out my basses on my gear page!

the fabric of reality is woven from the threads of our dreams...
    bill longshort

4. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    When I saw the title of this topic the first thing that came to mind was...............Stu Hamm Urge II.
  5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Im gonna go with the OBVIOUS choice here. Modulus! Go and try a Modulus Genesis Vintage Jazz. Styled after a Jazz, it has a wood/graphite neck, for the feel of wood, and the stability and clarity of graphite. It has the jazz sound, and more, because of its active electronics (w/ Barts or DiMarzios, i think), 2 or 3 band EQ, and of course, the neck. Check the two out at Bass Northwest (, and see if they are to your liking. Theyll be around $1000$1300, depending on options. Great buy! Id get one if i wanted a 4 string.
  6. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    I'm going to have to say ditto to everything above, it really depends upon your personal preferences. If you want my vote, then I'd go with a Fender (either P or J, whichever is your desire) or a Mike Lull. I think that the main thing here is to try before you buy. In my opinion, you can use almost any bass for any style, depending upon how you play and also how you use the controls on the bass itself.
  7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Mike Lull = Evil. I know a guy who played in a band with him...bad bad bad stories. Too lazy to type though. But hes evil. Go for Modulus though!
  8. Biski2Dope

Mar 26, 2000
    Lull has to be the worst name a person could have...yes, worse than Johnson. It means somethin really evil in Dutch.

9. stickist

Aug 4, 2000
    Hey .. I have met Mike Lull on several occasions, he's done lots of work on all of my basses, and he is one of the nicest people, and certainly musicians, that I know. Believe me, I have met my share of musicians here in the Seattle area who ARE evil. (Played in a band with one of them for several years, but that's not important.)

He is NOT evil! And his basses are very, very, VERY nice and play wonderfully.

(More irrelevancy?)
  10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
  11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Pedullas are nice instruments but... it kills me whenever I see anyone refer to the Laklands by their "list" price. AFAIK you buy Sadowskys at "retail" from Roger or a very small number of dealers (I think), OTOH Lakland dealers discount. Here's an example that I didn't have to look very hard for: :D
    Notice the price of the four (4-76)? About $300 more than the Pedulla. For the "list" price you could get a Lakland 4 and an Eden Metro.

From what I've seen the Lakland Classics are very affordable as far as high end Jazzes go, easily in the Warrick, Pedulla Rapture price range.
  13. phat daddy

phat daddy

Jun 16, 2006
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I'm surprised no one has already mentioned a Lakland 44-02. More versatile than any J, P or MM style bass and built as well or better and sits well within the specified price range. I'm soon to be in the market for a 55-02 as the '0 models sound identical to the '94 models and I'm sick of worrying about barroom dings on my 55-94. I haven't found a bass on the market more versatile, this includes many Sadowskies, Ken Smiths, Moduluses, MTDs, or Zons. Everything else seems to be stuck in P, MM, J, PJ, or soapbar config. and none seem to nail what the Lakies do.
  14. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada

This thread is 7 years old/stale.

The end.
  15. phat daddy

phat daddy

Jun 16, 2006
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Yeah, you're right, I didn't see that. Old dead thread.
  16. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Evanston, IL
    even though its old and dead...ill sneak i another vote for a lakland 44-02 :p
  17. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Nothing beats a Line6 Variax in terms of versatility. For $500, you would even have enough left over for an upgraded neck and a killer cab.
  18. I'd say a dean edge pro can do anything, i do lots different styles on it, from rock-jazz-regga-funk-punk-metal its all there.
  19. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Well, technically you're right...
    But was the Variax around 7 years ago?
    If it was (and I don't think so), it was probably terribly expenssive! :D

I cannot help but wonder what bass the original poster got, and how many basses he has purchased and sold off again since 2000!! :D :D