Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

do fender pbass's have a route for a 3rd pickup under the pickguard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wasteofo2, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Hello, i was just curious as to wether or not under te pickguards, fender pbass's have a route for a 3rd pickup. I don't yet own a bass but will be buying one by mid summer (i want to actually buy a good one and not a peice of junk beginner one). I am obsessed with squeezing as much versatility as possible out of anything i own and if the pbass had a 3rd pickup route i would be in heaven.

2. Nah. But if you want versatility, you could do worse than pick up a MIM Deluxe P-Bass Special...

http://www.fender.com/gear/gear.php?partno=0135700

I've got the now-discontinued American version of this bass (called "American Hot Rod P-Bass") and the P + J pickup combo is very tasty.

3. that does seem to be nice, ut what im kinda ultimately hoping for is a 3 pickup bass with a pickup selector. that way with a little modding i can have the choices of:

bridge alone
    mid alone
    neck alone
    bridge & mid in series
    bridge & mid in parallel
    mid & neck in series
    mid & neck in parallel
    bridge & neck in series
    bridge & neck in parallel
    all in series
    all in parallel

and maybe throw in some out of phasey ness

now that would be the embodyment of the word versatile.

4. i don't think a precision is the bass for you, man. try a G&L L-2000.

5. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    Find and get a fender stu hamm!
    [​IMG]

6. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    or build a warmoth!

DM

7. well I asked about the pbass cause geezer butler is both my favorite bassist and he has the sound I most want to emulate and I know earlier on (like the first 4 sabbath albums) he used a pbass so i figured hey if i get that and like 2 more pickups then voila! ive got geezers tone and a buketload more at my disposal.

Aalso, that Stu Hamm signature thing looks really nice, though being a signature model i'm sure that added like 3-500 to the price tag and its well over 1 grand, which is a tad out of my price range

8. tjoTim

tjoTim

Apr 30, 2002
    Ohio, U.S.A
    P/J set-ups are a pretty good starting point if you're looking for versatility. It's not the ulimate bass, but I'll suggest the Fender American Hot Rod Precision as a good candidate for someone looking for value and versatility in a P/J. I had one and liked it. Like most everything else I've ever sold, it was so good I'm not sure I should have ever let it go. :D I still think its one of the coolest basic Fender basses you can buy. YMMV. Gotta get them used now because Fender stopped making them.

9. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Well, your asking for two different things.
    The old Geezer sound is not versitle. If the fat-neck-pickup sound is what you need, then maybe look into the Yamaha Billy Sheehan model.

A 3 pickup bass? These have not been popular with anyone. Your listening audience sure isn't to hear the difference, and neither is half of the band.

10. well yes i know geezer was kind of monotonous (tone wise) but what i am looking for is his tone + mucho others, hence having the single pickup that he used plus others.

not to be snotty but i really dont care whats been popular with people, or if my listening audience or bandmates could hear the difference becuase im doing this to satisfy my tonal needs or whatever.

though i am curious as to how you can say that if i isolate the mid pickup(in the position the lone pbass pickup is) that the difference between that and the neck pickup wont be noticeable? that would be quite a difference(to my ears at least), and even with all my other little fancy dancy tone combos, if my listening audience or band cant tell the difference between the bridge pup alone and the neck and mid in parallel than that is their loss, but as long as i can, then i will be happy.

11. Nah, actually, you can pick up MIM Stu Hamm basses, and are only baout $500!

:cool:

12. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    I picked up a Yamaha Attitude Custom which is not the signature Attitude with attendant high cost, but has most of the same or at least similar features. It has a humbucker hiding under the pickguard in the neck position, a p-pickup in the middle position, and also piezos in the bridge saddle. It's active electronics and can be run either with stereo outputs to two amps or preamps, or a switch on the back of the bass will allow you to run only one cord into one amp. It's fairly versatile. I plan on doing some mods to mine--replacing the p and humbucker pickups with better quality pickups. What's on it isn't garbage, I guess I can't leave well enough alone. :D

Whatever you choose, good luck!

fremenblue

13. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Other than the Stu Hamm I'm not sure I can think of any 'stock' bass that'll suit your needs. You might want to get yourself a Precision or a PRecision Special (with the Jazz pup) and do some routing yourself under the pick guard for the 3rd pickup that you desire. If you don't feel comfortable with doing that, I'm sure you can find a bass tech/luthier that will do the job for a fee.

You might also want to look into a custom bass of some sort - although, that'll probably run you over your budget!

The cheapest way is probably for you to do the work to a good bass - by that I mean one you are comfortable with, that plays right for you, that sounds good, and is comfortable for you to play. Then do the routing and add pickup and selection switch and other controls required to get what you want!:)

14. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    A word of warning - even if you played through exactly the set up Geezer Butler used on the albums you're referring to, you probably still wouldn't sound like him. So much of the sound is in the hands and you can't buy electronics to substitute.

For example, I've got a really nice bass with two bartolini pickups, each with three way coil tap and an active preamp. At last night's four hour rehearsal I think the only adjustment I made was to turning the volume up or down but I got a bucket load of different tones just by adapting my playing technique.

I would suggest getting a relatively simple bass, valuing good construction over lots of knobs - after all, I presume you want to learn the bass, not just play around twiddling knobs ;)

Wulf

15. well of course yuo get different sounds from adjusting playing styel, using picks, fingerplucking, picking harder softer, with his nad that aprt of your finger, its all a vital part fo the sound, but still if you get player x's signature bass and gear and just like a jazz or something you will sound more like player x on his bass and gear if you play exactly the same on both bass's

16. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I disagree - I think it's much more in the fingers and the brain than it is in the equipment.

For instance, I've played Steve Lawson's bass through his rig sometimes and I still sound like me. It's lovely equipment, and I can see how owning would open up a whole new bunch of ideas to me, but I still don't think I'd sound much like him without a lot of practise. Equally, he's played my bass through my rig... and he still sounds like Steve.

To get the Steve Lawson vibe going, I don't have to sell my Sei and get a Modulus - I would need to spend a lot of time working with his recordings, trying to get into his 'headspace' so that I hear the same things as being 'what comes next' and to develop my technique to execute those ideas.

I'm not saying that it's wrong to buy similar equipment to the musicians you want to sound like (although I'm suspicious of 'signature models' that only seem to differ by being more expensive) but I still maintain that gear is the lesser part of the equation compared to skill. 'Versatile' starts in the brain, not the wallet.

Wulf

17. If you want a good 3-pickup equipped 24-fretted bass, buy a Cort Billy Cox signature bass... it sounds great and it's cheap... a lot cheaper than the Stu Hamm piece of expensive crap.