Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do Flats last longer?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Prefab, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Prefab

Prefab

Dec 16, 2001
    San
    Anyone have experience with Roto Tapewound flats going dead? My TI's have lasted forever, and I thought that migh be true of Flats in general, but ny Roto tapes seem to have gone dead, or is it my imagination.

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    All strings will go dead eventually. The tension on them will eventually stretch the metal wire core to the point where it will no longer sustain it's ability to keep in tune or maintain it's intonation.

As a general rule, flatwounds will maintain their sound longer simply because there are no grooves in the windings for the crud to get in, such as sweat and dirt, when you play.

All strings benefit from proper care by wiping them down after every time you play them. Some sets of strings can go dead quicker than others, even within the exact same brand of strings...or even a single string out of a set. Sometimes you just get a bad batch as well.

3. Also, a simpler answer is that many people who use flats prefer that "dead" sound, and the longer you use strings, the "deader" they get. I know that when i use flats, or a bass w/ flats, I HATE new flats, but prefer ones that have been in use for at least a month, to give that preferred sound.