1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do fresh strings usually...........?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassist15, May 11, 2006.

1. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    I put a fresh set of strings on a week or two ago and they still seems to haev a little buzz on the frets. Like when you fret the note and let up it kinda sounds liek a buzz. Will this eventually go away with time?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Did you switch gauge or brand of strings? Sounds like you need a setup.

3. What do you mean when you say 'fret the note and let up'? If you mean what I think you mean, which is that you are muting the note by releasing the pressure in your fretting finger, then that is the real problem. You will always get a bit of buzz when you do this, but it will be much more noticeable with new strings (especially something like round wound steels). So a loose answer to your question would be that it will fade with time but never actually go.

Your best bet would be to change your muting technique. There are loads of useful threads about this over in the technique forum.

If, however, I have completely misunderstood your post then I will now shut up.

Cheers

4. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    Im pretty sure they noth gauge and brand were changed. I bought the bass off of ebay and the strings that were on it were wierd. The E string they had on it was as thick as the Low B i had on my 6 string bass

5. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    Bump

I can only hear the buzz playing acousticly also

6. Goat Lord

Goat Lord

May 17, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I guess that harks back to the first replay you got, but i would just adjust your action.

7. BasStefan

BasStefan Guest

sounds like fretbuzz, maby raise the action?

8. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    If its fret noise(its fret noise then it should really only be on the E and A string) in which you would either need to raise the action on your bass and/or change to a tighter wound string.

9. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    I'm gonna go in for a setup at my local shop because my action is as far up as it can go and its like this. Im also going to talk to one of the guys there about replaceing the nut. Its cut to a larger gague of string , so i might need to get that taken care of.

10. WillaiMC

WillaiMC

May 3, 2006
    You're strings are rattling against the frets. That's deffinantly it if it's only when you're playing it acoustic.

11. markowens1234

markowens1234

May 2, 2004
    Action's all the way up? Sounds like a neck relief problem. There are plenty of online resources for setting up a bass, or I would recommend taking your bass in and getting it set up.

Mark