Do G&L's eat batteries?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gnome01, Sep 30, 2002.

1. gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    I have an early 80's L2000E, and it seems that I can go about 3 weeks to a month on a battery until I get a nasty farting sound from the preamp (unless I back off on the bass knob nearly all the way). I don't use this bass exclusively either, and I gig with it maybe once a week or less. I even turn off the active switch when I'm not using the bass. Is this normal?
  2. FiedelP

May 24, 2002
    Hamburg, Germany
    You have to unplug it! If you just switch to passiv and leave the chord plugged, it's eating the battery. Happens to me all the time!
  3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    There was a discussion of this a few months ago (or maybe half a year ago) at The Bottom Line. It seems that the preamp chip used by G&L during that era did use batteries quickly. As well, some were said to be noisy. If you search the TBL Archives, you should be able to find this discussion, which continued into a discussion of modern preamp chips that could directly replace the originals, while being quieter and having lower current draw.

official TBL archives
  4. ohiobob227

Aug 18, 2001
    Cloverdale, CA
    Odd, I've got an '83 L2000E that's been my main bass for over a year now, and I think I've replaced the battery once, maybe twice, and only because I do it every once and a while to all my gear whether or not it needs it, just to be safe.

dude's roadie
  5. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    The battery in my '82 L2000E lasts a long time. You do have to unplug the cord. Switching to passive does not break the circuit (the battery continues to draw power).
    My preamp is also almost completely quiet.

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    You know, now that I think of it, I think that discussion on TBL might have been about Stingrays, not G&Ls. I guess I tend to think of MM and G&L in the same category. (Must be those big polepieces!) Sorry for the misdirection.
  7. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I've had my G&L 2500 for 2 years now, and it still has the same batteries. Just unplug it when you are not using it.
  8. gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    Thanks for all the replies. I do unplug it when I'm not using it as well. I guess I should also mention that this was also the case an my '94 L2000 fretless, but the control cavity is bigger so I converted the preamp to 18 volts (2 batteries). I also play pretty hard over the neck pickup, so I guess I tend to max out the preamp, which might use more juice. Just my guess.